Planning permission for an external staircase?

Would the errection of an external steel staircase to a first floor room, be classed as development and thus require planning permission?

Just the staircase, not any other work.

I have got conflicting advice from local planners

dg

Reply to
dg

Not the old "we can't give you a definite answer as to whether you'd need planning permission or not. To get a definite answer you need to apply for planning permission" routine ?

If not, I'd advise finding out which planning officer would deal with your case (in my area each person has his/her own sub-area) and ask them. Ignore any other planner since they won't be involved,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Is it on the front of the house or on the sides and visible from the road, is it les than 1m from any boundary, are you in a conservation area, or is the highest part (presumably the handrail) over 4m high ?

Yes to any of these and the answer is likely to be yes though as you've seen these things are often vaguely defined at best.

But whatever the answer, it will need building control consent.

Reply to
Mike

Planning questions are not usually as open and shut, as you may imagine them to be. You need to give rather more detail. Are you saying you have asked the same planning authority the same question and got confilcting answers or have you asked palnners in two different planning offices?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

A client wants to convert a first floor room. Whilst the conversion and adding a doorway is considered exempt by the planning officer, he stated that pp wouldbe required for the staircase.

I was not sure if this was 'Development' under TCPA

A conversation with officers from another authority seemed to imply that pp would not be required.

Permitted Development allowance is used up, and the staircase will be on the side of the property - near to the front and viewable from the road

Cheers dg

Reply to
dg

Sounds like he will need it to me. The only way to be certain is to put in an application.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

My local planning dept have a system whereby you just fill in and submit a form to them, and they then told you whether you needed to apply for planning permission.

I did this a few weeks ago, and got a letter back a week later saying that there was now a fee for this service, and would I please send them a cheque for 30 quid. B*****ds, I thought. But is this service unusual, then?

David

Reply to
Lobster