Planning and Highways

I finally tracked down the bloke from highways who was instrumental in me having to withdraw my application to renovate my porch (making it a bit bigger)and move my driveway. His objection was that he "felt" that visibility would be affected exiting the driveway. It took quite an effort to tease any numbers out of him, as he kept talking about "feelings". Basically he said that at 2m from the carriageway, at the centre of the driveway (which is being moved sideways), the new porch would obstruct the view.

This has left me totally perplexed. The existing porch is 2.2m back from the carriageway, and does not limit the view in any way. The proposed porch is wider, but comes exactly the same distance forward. Neither of which limit visibility. You have to look back over your shoulder to see them, and they are masked by the buildings behind. To make matters slightly more perplexing, the guy says that the existing porch is OK!

Is there anything one can do when faced with such a situation apart from capitulate? If I can't renovate the porch I might as well knock it down as it is a tiny late-60s flat roofed eye-sore.

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

Didn't see your original post on this matter. Has the planning bloke been to the site? Is he the sole decider on this matter?

I would have suggested some nice 3D plans of before and after demonstating that there was no change to sightlines.

Reply to
sharky

I have no experience in this area but it seems to me that you could draw scale plans of the current layout and your proposed modifications. Mark the lines of sight. If the proposed layout seems no worse than the current one then show this guy the plans and ask him what he "feels" about them now.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Submit your proposal anyway.

Mock up the new porch with some 2x4 and plastic tarpaulins. Take pictures from the road to show that it doesn't affect traffic sightlines.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Reply to
Rusty

He is probably more worried about the owner running a pedestrian over. There may well be a good view of the cars but what about the pavement?

Reply to
dennis

He has detailed before and after plans done by an architect. I think I will have to resubmit my planning application with the porch replaced by a canopy. When (hopefully) that goes through, I will immediately submit a separate application for a porch. I can't afford to risk the main changes I want to do. This planning application has been dragging on for ages (no objections from the neighbours) and I've already borrowed the money!!

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

There is no pavement. Few pedestrians round here - though plenty of walkers ;-) Even if there was a pavement, the rule is 2.4m (exceptionally 2m) back from the carriageway.

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

The guy says he has been to the site. I've recently bought some software that might just be able to do what you suggest. However, given that it is crystal clear from the plans that the porch is behind you at the point you take your sightlines, and obvious when you are on site, I'm not sure that showing the same thing again will help. The existing porch is OK according to him, but a slightly wider one isn't, both of which are behind you.

If I annoy the bloke, he could move the visibility splay back to 2.4m. If he does this, then the new porch will be arguably the limiting factor to visibility, but we are talking centimetres at most. At this point it's probably not a good idea to irritate him, however when I have the other permissions I need, I think I would like to.

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

Huh????