Planing a door

As Dom said, its self making. As long as the bottom board is wider than the base of your CS.

Did you get the Aldi link Sam?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If the door is like that a Stanley knife is the best way to trim it.

Reply to
dennis

That is my experience with cheap doors, though perhaps they had ALREADY been trimmed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought that was only for toilet seats ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that's the beauty - it is simple, and without knocking one up I can see it works.

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

I'd be a bit leery about that: the circular saws I found in B&Q when I was last looking (3 or 4 years back I admit) were heavy 7" blade (185mm) monsters I'd probably be glad of if I were cutting up flooring chipboard but a bit of a liability for fine work. I used to have a nice 6" (150mm) Elu main-powered circ but that had packed up. If the OP can find a lightweight smaller-bladed saw (I think they tend to be described as trimsaws) then go for it, otherwise a half decent handsaw followed by a sand down (a small belt sander would be nice, and has other uses) would do a good job and not take long through softwood ticky-tacky doors.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I thought no-one was going to suggest that - seems the easier option to me - but then having /bought/ a planer...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

You lost me there what is rising but hinges??

Reply to
Samantha Booth

It's butt hinges.

The two parta of the hinge have a sloping arrangement between them. As the door is opened it rises as it leaves the aperture of the frame.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A type of hinge that makes the door rise up a little as you open it.

One problem with them is that the door automatically closes itself.

Reply to
Rod

The moment you open the door it starts rising on the hinges ie the bottom of the door starts rising over the carpet for clearance.

George

get clockwise closing (left hand closing) or anti clockwise (right hand) If you open the instructions pdf in the link it explains this.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> You get clockwise closing (left hand closing) or anti clockwise (right

Do you know how much it rises by?

Reply to
Samantha Booth

> You get clockwise closing (left hand closing) or anti clockwise (right

Please rephrase that. :-)

Reply to
Rod

>> You get clockwise closing (left hand closing) or anti clockwise (right

LOL, Yeah ! the ACTUAL size please, not what you "think" it rises by. You men ! LOL

Reply to
Samantha Booth

"Not suitable for the intended purpose". Open and shut case.

Next ...!

Reply to
Bruce

>>> You get clockwise closing (left hand closing) or anti clockwise (right

Depends on the hinge. On the Screwfix one, the hinge is 75mm and the distance between the top and bottom of the spiral looks to be less than

25mm but more than 10mm - I'd guess around 20mm. So, at 180 degree open (or as near as possible) the rise would be around 10mm. At 90 degrees it would be half that. (Wish the spec. said what rise.)

I do not recommend them. Main reason is that the door does not rise much until it is fairly wide open. So you tend to get an area of carpet near the door frame which is swept by the door each time it is opened. (Of course, if it did rise the moment it started to open, you would need a signficant gap between the top of the door and the door frame to allow for it.)

Reply to
Rod

He confuses inches and millimetres as it is....

Reply to
Andy Hall

If the rise is for the room that has the carpet, them this is not your answer. The rise will not meet the maximum until the door is at 90 degrees from the wall. At closure, the door will be at its lowest point and will not rise until it is at 90 % to the wall.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

message

You're doing a lot of guess work there,where does it say its 75mm? have you ever used em?

Reply to
George