Plan drawing software

Can anyone recommend some good free software to do floor drawings of a proposed building - just the basic floor plan is all I need.

I have tried "Sweet Home 3 D" from Sourceforge but it seems limited on the basic drawing ability.

For example I cannot draw a room be specifying size - I have to actually draw it on the grid and specify co-ordinates of end points.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Les Desser

Les Desser coughed up some electrons that declared:

Cycas3D

has a free version that is probably adequate. Absolute or relative coordinates can be input and it draws walls OK. But its 3D abilities are a bit sucky.

For non-free (I know, but anyway...), I've just bought TurboFloorPlan Home and Landscape Pro

and, bar some oddities which can mostly be worked around, it's pretty good. There are cheaper less feautureful sibling products that may do what you need, possibly Instant Architect for $35 and a whole range of competing products based off Arcon3D.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

great program.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Google Sketchup.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Agreed, and plenty of tutorials and info available online

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , Steve Firth Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:00:19 writes

Seems like the vote goes for that - thanks to all.

I will also give Cycas3D a look - thanks Tim.

Reply to
Les Desser

Can anyone tell me what I need to run Google's Ketchup under Linux? Wine, or do I need to run it in a windoze VM under VMware?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Under Linux I QCAD. It's a full 2D CAD program though, and needs a fair investment of time to learn it.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Brilliant piece of software though. It makes a pleasant change for me as I use Autocad LT at work. :-) I'm very tempted to pay the guy for the pro version - especially to get polylines.

Reply to
mick

Ask him for the source, it looks like its done using GPL libs so he should give them to you if you ask.

Reply to
dennis