Placing cables inside egg box walls

I need to run several cables from my internal garage into my loft, but I don't wish to run them up the outside of the house. The problem is running them through a first floor dividing wall that is made from two pieces of plasterboard that has an egg box type construction between them. How does an electrician get over this problem when wiring in wall switches?

Reply to
OBone

Try to get above the wall and push some plastic conduit down as far as you can. May have to cut a piece out of the wall top and bottom.

Reply to
john

Take a 40mm or so spade bit. Drill hole in wall. Drill hole in eggbox stuff at as steep an angle as you can, using a long-reach bit. Repeat till you've got a clear channel all the way up. Avoid existing cables.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I'm not a sparky, but I'd get a rod set like Screwfix 82483.

I'd drill a 50mm hole in the wall and then try to force it upwards through the eggboard. I'd probably try to do it in steps of 1-2 metres, because the path would inevitably draft away from true. So drill another 50mm access hole every few meters, pull it through with a string attached, and then set off upwards again.

If I could get access from the top, I might try driving right down in one push and then locating the rod-end by asking an accomplice to wiggle it while I knelt on the floor downstairs. Shouldn't need more than a few holes before it was found, especially if it had a little bell or a few links of light chain attached to increase noise.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks for all of your replies.

Reply to
OBone

When in doubt rip it out...

Just remove a section of plasterboard from top to bottom, gouge out the honeycomb to make a channel, and stick the plasterboard - or a new piece

- back. Skim, sand and paint.

I've tried all the other ways and they take longer in the end.

I do this almost EVERY time I have to install ANY thing electrical here..stud and plasterboard..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hope nobody slams a door too hard.... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

All the time.

Reply to