pizza oven

I have been asked to make a small outdoor pizza oven

Have seen some on the web but they are about 1000gbp

Seems a lot for a bit of fireclay

One about 30 inch diameter 18 inch high is what I have in mind

However not sure where to start.

How best to make the dome shape, whether to use small fire bricks and build like a mini igloo, or try to make a dome shape mould and cover with 2 inch of fireclay.

How to calculate quantity of fireclay required or where to source it are other unknowns

Any help appreciated

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Following up to TMC

I've added a xpost to food group, a lady there is in Italy, might be able to add something, might not. I dont know if Guisi builds ovens :-)

Reply to
Mike.....

"Mike....." wrote in news:1t2zjme2obz5v$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

A Search on Google for DIY pizza Oven came up with a fair number of links.

Google is your friend Chris

Reply to
Chris

Jamie Oliver has one and I think it was installed by these people

that might give some clues. Kathleen

Reply to
Kathleen Roberts

"Kathleen Roberts" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Not the same as making one, which is far more satisfying.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Also found this...

Kathleen Roberts

The Pot Kiln, quite close to me, has one that they built themselves. It works well and the owner, Mike Robinson, is quite an approachable fellow and might be willing to explain.

Andy Hall

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Hi Mary. I hope you are well. Long time no see in ukfd. IIRC, your husband built you a brick oven but I am happy to stand corrected.

Reply to
June Hughes

Following up to June Hughes

Hello June, long time no see in d-i-y :-)

Reply to
Mike.....

I've already mentioned that :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mike....." ha scritto nel messaggio news:1t2zjme2obz5v$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net...

No, she does not, but has restored a single one.

No one builds them here anymore excpet commercial ones, but even those have a prefab center. There is a lively trade in prefab ones for outside, some have some cement to make them look a bit more authentic, most are black metal. They cost about ?1000 and up depending on bells and whistles.

The wholly hand built ones. like my old one, are tons of masonry. That's why it takes 12 hours to heat up. The heatproof cement is just an inner finish.

Why? I've never seen one so small. The wood one uses is a metre long! I think you are paying too much attention to how it looks and not enough to how it works. You build the fire, hear it and it stays hot for hours and hours, the temp going down all the time so that you cook things at high temps, then sort of high, then moderate... you get it. In pizza parlors they feed the fire for the 2 hours they are using it, so there has to be room for the wood as well as the pizza. What you describe would hold only one pizza or one loaf of bread, so where will the wood go?

Reply to
Giusi

"Kathleen Roberts" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

All of those look like the cement versions of the prefab ones you can buy. Seems like that would be cheaper, but I wouldn't have a clue how to use one so small. Teensy wood?

Reply to
Giusi

Ours takes three or four hours, depending on ambient temperature, wind and moisture, to get to enough heat to bake a month's worth of very good bread. Pizzas take far less time, in fact you bake pizzas while there is still fire in the oven.

That doesn't mean anything except that you've never seen one so small.

Not necessarily. I

Does it sing???

Not everyone needs that range.

I think you're the one who's being unnecessarily precise. An oven which would only be used for home pizza making doesn't need to be big. Even one used for bread doesn't need to be much bigger than what Mike's talking about. 'Pizza parlours' are commercial and can't be compared with someone making a pizza oven for personal use.

In fact most pizzas for take-aways and restaurants in UK are made in huge factories and shipped, probably frozen, to the outlets. I doubt that they ever see the inside of a stone pizza oven.

There is no standard mud/stone/earth/bread/pizza oven. There might well be optimum ones for commercial or even home use but it all depends on what you want.

1m lengths of timber wouldn't fit into our oven and it works extremely well.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" ha scritto nel messaggio news:48877d01$0$766$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net...

Here is my experience. My name was even mentioned in terms of pizza ovens. I was obliging.

can make pizza in a combo microwave and grill oven. I think he's going for something more here. I think it is lovely that people like your husband and the OP are building ovens, but asked about pizza ovens, my response is the above, which you don't like.

Reply to
Giusi

Oh I am sure we will take *your* knowledge and experience on this, Guisi :) I have experience of others' pretending to have it:)

Reply to
Ophelia

Following up to Mary Fisher

Mary, I asked Guisi to comment on italian authentic pizza ovens in Italy, where she lives, that many Brits do make do with less is fairly irrelevant to her descriptions.

Reply to
Mike.....

If you're anywhere near you might enjoy

'd make the journey from Leeds if we weren't sailing round Svalberd at the time!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Can we look forward to a post from .sj ?

(In case this is taken seriously, Wiki says "(not in use; no registrations)".

Reply to
Rod

It would come from my address.

Mary