PIR Wiring connector ?

Hi,

I've inherited an alarm system which I want to swap out an existing PIR to a pet friendly sort. The old PIR is wired in using some bullet type crimp connectors which I haven't seen before.

A photo of the PIR wiring is here:

anyone tell me what type of connectors these are (so I can buy some) and maybe why they've been used?

Many thanks.

Reply to
jonhrs

Any pet PIR will suffice and you don't need connectors like that,well you do as it depends how many passives you want on the same zone? in which case you wire them up in parrallel.

Reply to
George

Use heat shrink cable to cover the bare ends.

24h is wired in parrellel NC(normaly closed) is wired in parrellel 12v is wired in series

Hence why they used those old crimp connectors.

Reply to
George

I think George has been celebrating XMass with too much plonk or has had a bad day:)

If you wire the 24hours zones and the NC zones in parrallel then you would have to activate the tamper on all sensors simultaneously or activate all the PIRs simultaneously to get an alarm.

Putting the 12v in series will result in a voltage drop across the sensors and stop them working.

Try

24 hour in series N/C in series 12 in parrallel

As for the connections you need either try an electrical wholesalers or a maybe a car spares shop for those connections or just solder them and use heat sleeving.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My apologies,you are correct. :-)

Reply to
George

Easy mistake if you have nitromors on your nipple.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.

Reply to
jonhrs

BTW, the picture shows a microwave doppler unit, so the sensor you have there is a dual tech PIR and microwave unit (assuming it has a PIR component, which isn't visible in the picture), which would imply a well spec'ed system. Alternatively it might have been fitted as a result of a PIR detector in that location generating false alarms for some reason.

Sometimes there's a spare piece of plastic clipped inside the cover which you move to another position to enable pet mode, but I don't recognise the innards of that particular detector from the limited photo.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Upon close inspection the PIR is a Detection Systems DS825T. I've had a quick look at the installation manual which I've just found on google and it does seem that they're specifically designed not to false alarm by pet movements. Although it does specify to not remove the pet filter from the mirror .... not sure what that bit's about ...

jonhrs