PIR spotlight failure

I have a PIR spotlight, inside the garage. The PIR unit seems to have failed, just like the one on the spotlight outside the garage.

Do these things fail in typical ways? Is it easy to get hold of a separate PIR unit to use with the light?

It seems a shame to have to get rid of a perfectly useful light just for that.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote in news:1m21wu3.10tfdmd1ougbaaN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk:

Has it possible latched itself off due to the supply being tiggled on and off in a particular way?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Lidl were selling what they described as "motion sensors" a few weeks ago for not very much (about 4 quid each, I think). I bought one to replace a failed sensor on one of my outside lights, and it seems to work ok.

As I say, it was a few weeks ago so there are probably none left - but it may be worth checking if you've got a local branch of Lidl.

Reply to
Roger Mills

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1m21wu3.10tfdmd1ougbaaN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

Depending on the electrical connections at your existing spotlight (not all of them have the switched live terminal available) it could be a piece of piss to add.

to operate the light

Reply to
ARW

I did just this on a previous time Lidl did these sensors and it has been fine throughout the winter weather despite only admitting to IP44 ingress protection. I added silicone grease over all the seals and cable entries as a precaution. For the OP's application in a garage, it would be ideal as supplied.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Also, has the filter byy any chance gone brittle and is no longer transparent at infroa red?

Its only a little round chip with a window on a pcb in the ones I've seen, maybe it can be bought? brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've never experienced a PIR failure, but have had lamp contacts fail. What type of bulb is used.

Reply to
Capitol

They usually latch themselves on as a result of the inbuilt circuits in some PIRs. Switching the light switch off/on/off/on within a short period (30 seconds) latches the light on until switched off again at the switch. This can happen if you have a few glitches on the mains supply. Switching the light off for 30 seconds and then back on restores the PIR functionality, although the light will initially come on for the time-out period.

Reply to
alan_m

IPX4 is the waterproof standard for normal outside equipment

Reply to
ARW

That's interesting. I've never come across a PIR flood/spot light where the switched live terminal is unavailable. I've jiggered about with a fair few. Even so a bit of careful dismantling and rewiring should allow a standalone PIR to be utilised. Also, if fitting a standalone PIR to an existing unit the existing switched live is immediately redundant. All that is required is new switched live +ve/-ve/E connection to luminaire from new PIR. Of course the power supply to existing PIR should be disconnected. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

triac & light holder contacts do fail. Ditto the adjustable preset pots. But PIRs are cheap.

NT

Reply to
meow2222