PIR security light/camera. Anyone using something like this?

Following a very disturbing occurrence last Friday evening the police have recommended that I put up pir cameras at access points. They suggested kit as in the link above. Apparently the constabulary have requested sample images from the manufacturer and they are more than sufficient. I have little experience of this stuff and don't want full-blown cctv. This records to sd card and overwrites when full. Does anyone use kit like this or have any recommendations for similar?

Many thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I installed one for a friend (well at his elderly Mums). It's the halogen light not LED version.

If you want I can email you some videos and some stills so that you can see the quality.

Reply to
ARW

In message , Nick writes

I don't know if this is relevant, but I invested £16.70 in a "night vision" dashcam from ebay. I have been wondering about buying more as simple security cameras.

The instructions were a joke but, once you get beyond that, the device is pretty amazing. It records in an endless loop to an SD card automatically when 12 volts is applied or by using the internal battery when set to do so.

The standard mobile phone battery ensures that removal of the 12volts shuts it down sensibly. It has a small fold down display, and can be set to use motion detection.

The 4 night vision LED's don't cover enough for use in a car situation, and the other problem is that when SWMBO knocks the cigarette lighter socket (down by where the seat belt plugs in) in the car too many times in quick succession, it can freeze and have to be reset by removing the battery.

I have it mounted on the windscreen and getting it down can be a bit of a hassle. Getting the SD card from any of these mounted in a secure place might be something to think about.

The video and audio quality on this dashcam is quite adequate as long as it is set not to use the HD modes, which I think are done by electronic trickery, rather than posh lenses etc.

I even found (by accident!) a video of the rows of young ladies building these on YouTube.

Bill

TLC do those

The Medway Handyman

Jeeze. What a job.

Reply to
harryagain

I've had one of the 230W halogen ones for two years now, still working but there's a 1 second delay to trigger the light and the recording is delayed a bit more.

Quality is poorer than the GBP14 webcam running on ispy.

Has anyone managed to use an external pir to trigger ispy?

AJH

Reply to
news

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:08:29 AM UTC+12, snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk w rote:

The rather cheap system that I have used for many years can record up to 10 seconds *before* the motion, for up to eight cameras, and up to 30 seconds *after* the motion has stopped. That means of course that 10 seconds of vi deo for all cameras is stored in memory all the time, and when motion occur s, that video is immediately written to disk. I suspect that most CCTV syst ems should be capable of that.

Reply to
Matty F

What rather cheap system is this please?

I have 8 cameras which are 700 TVL analogue with 36 IR leds, spare hard drives and an internet connection.

I am currently trying to use a hybrid Pentaplex DVR but this only supports 4 analogue cameras and 4 IP cameras so am looking to upgrade to a 8 channel unit that is capable of recording in D1 resolution to H264 compression

Reply to
Stephen H

This is a rather cheap system, i3 box running recycled xp for 150 quid, I haven't investigated how many cameras it will handle and it does run a spool so that a few seconds before the trigger event is kept and saved as mp4.

AJH

Reply to
news

o 10 seconds *before* the motion, for up to eight cameras, and up to 30 sec onds *after* the motion has stopped. That means of course that 10 seconds o f video for all cameras is stored in memory all the time, and when motion o ccurs, that video is immediately written to disk. I suspect that most CCTV systems should be capable of that.

Well I'm in NZ so you probably won't be able to buy what I had, which was p robably from China and cost about 30 pounds. I had two capture cards that handled 8 cameras, running on a 500 MHz Win98S E computer. The computer has now died, but I seem to have caught all the cr iminals so I'm not recording any more. This site talks about pre Motion Detection:

There may be another term for pre motion but I can't remember the exact phr ase, otherwise you could search for it.

Reply to
Matty F