PIR lense frazzled!

On one of my exterior lights with integral PIR, the plastic lens cover behind mesh grill on bulkhead has become all brittle; no doubt due to UV degradation.

Has anyone any ideas what replacement material that's easily available, (& UV resistant) may enable a repair??

Reply to
Gel

The cover usually has a moulded pattern that acts as a multi-segment lens, so you would need to replace with something pretty much identical.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Diamond clear tape works, but is non-fresnel so will change the detection pattern and sensitivity, you'll need to readjust the unit to work right. You'll find the max detection range much shorter than originally, so its good for terraced houses, but no use for country pads with drives.

If the sun shines on it you may also want to add a top strip of brown tape to keep sun of the detector to maintain sensitivity.

Proper lens would certainly be better, but have never seen them for sale.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

On 1 Feb 2005 01:27:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ukgateway.net (Gel) strung together this:

Buy a new PIR, you'll never get it to work again and the chances are the UV has affected the PIR itself to some degree over the years.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes thanks; its actually an outer lens. The unit is a fixed bulkhead light, with integral PIR at top/set back somewhat, so there is no movement adjustment.

That has a patterned lens and is OK; this is a white opaque plastic just above the polycarbonate front cover[in front of lamp], and is behind a 3" square of mesh.

Its plain white, and I just wondered what common plastic I may have knocking around would suffice as relacement, as it seems to essentially be there for waterproofing.

White plastic office folder type materials won't work as not UV resistant.

Reply to
Gel

Where would I get that; is it opaque/clear NT?? Tks

Reply to
Gel

Where would you get clear tape??

What is going on here today?