PIR floodlamps

A couple of days ago, the PIR floodlight at the front of the house stuttered and stopped working. Got a new bulb but that doesn't seem to have sorted it. The old one was definitely blown but maybe it took teh rest of the works with it when it blew.

We're going away at the weekend, so I'd like to get something in place pdq. The current one is an el cheapo 150W thing like this:

I'd like to do something better when I get a chance (probably a separate sensor and multiple non-flood lamps) but I don't have time to do anything fancy, get something ordered online etc. at the moment so for now I should probably just swap it like for like.

Every shed and their dog sell something like it for about a tenner and most of them are probably made by the same manufacturer. Just in case though, I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows which of the normal places (SFx, TS, etc) might be the best bet, or which to definitely avoid?

Reply to
GMM

"The Screwfix Web Site is Temporarily Unavailable

Unfortunately our Screwfix.com site is unavailable due to essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience."

I guess they don't want to sell anything, then.

Reply to
Davey

Its working ok now. £7.99 for that pir floodlight

Reply to
BobH

Actually that was just an example but they're all quite similar. I found a free hour to scoot over to Wickes and buy one of theirs, on the stength of the reviews, specifically the one that said the wiring was well thought out for something that had to be done up a ladder. Having fitted it, I'm sure that must have been reviewing something else! Naturally, the destructions were wrong, ignoring one of the controls (sensitivity) and giving the wrong direction to adjust the dusk setting. At least it works for the moment, and I can fit a better set up when I get back.

Reply to
GMM

On 20/03/2014 20:11, GMM wrote: ...

That was the Meccano principle - put deliberate mistakes in the instructions, to encourage people to think and not just follow blindly. :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've had a dozen of the damn things. No matter what they cost. they work for a while and are then unreliable. They all have the feature that I detest - flicking the switch off and on quickly is supposed to make the light stay on until the switch is turned off for over 10 seconds. But that almost never works for me, unless there is a power cut while I'm away, in which case the light stays on for weeks. And whose idea was it to have the controls labelled with black on black, when we are trying to adjust them at night? The biggest problem is that when I have turned off the light in order to sneak out and check out some thieves, then I can't turn the light on later without attracting attention. I want the light to turn on at night ONLY when it detects movement, and no other stupid "features". I'll have to wire in another switch to disable or enable the light.

Reply to
MattyF

Well, I'll regard that as a bonus then: Not just a new light but a learning opportunity too....

Reply to
GMM

That flicking on/off thing doesn't apply to the new LED type I have. However, 20 watts is pretty feeble compared to the old halogen types

Reply to
stuart noble

I have a 20watt led pir floodlight and although it doesn't give bright daylight, it's light enough to see by. The disadvantage I think about LED floodlights is that the more light you want, the actual casing grows proportionaly.

Reply to
Bob H

Point well made Matty but, on this one, it doesn't matter that you can't see the controls as they don't seem to do anything consistent anyway. Trying to set the sensitivity this morning was a completely unproductive half hour before I gave up: It's hypersensitive wherever it's set. The only adjustment that influences the range is the angle of the detector and a less than 5 degree (ie a very very small nudge) change in angle is the difference between coming on when anyone walks along the pavement outside (about 7m away) and having to be right under the thing before it triggers.

The dusk setting, I've found, not only adjusts in the other direction to what's indicated in the destructions but has an element of lag in it, so you have to adjust it in small steps, waiting for a few seconds for it to decide if it will change behaviour.

The 'time on' setting appears completely non-linear,. so nothing happens and then the period changes in a huge jump from 5 seconds to a minute or so (in the first jump).

Can't believe 'yer average consumer' ever get one of these things working properly. I'd take it back but I can't be arsed to take it all down and fit another one unless I can guarantee it's good enough to expect it to work properly. I'll fit a completely different configuration (with quality fittings) when I'm able to.

Reply to
GMM

Mine isn't that bad, but I had to point the motion sensor along the mounting wall to get it to respond to anybody coming up the driveway, and it's still not consistent in how it responds. I agree about the lag in response to setting changes. But it will do.

Reply to
Davey

Probably because they work best when someone walks across the detection area rather than straight at the detector.

In this case, the most successful direction to activate it is from behind it.

Reply to
Davey

thats a new one :)

Control problems are most likely due the pot wipers no longer making consistent contact. Often this can be fixed by twiddling the knob from end to end several times, then it responds predictably. That wont fix rusting though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This was a brand new unit, straight out of the box. But it works, so I'm going to leave it right where it is!

Reply to
Davey