PIR flood light without manual override

any one know of a floodlight with built in PIR without manual override?? as we seem to live in a area that has dips in the mains that's enough to trigger the manual override, so you come home to find the lights been on all day wasting power, or would it be better if I installed a separate PIR and floodlight

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin wrote on 27/10/2008 :

The separate PIR's are very expensive, several times the cost of a light with one built in. If you cannot find units without the manual feature, could you perhaps look at a circuit to hold the supply off for longer than the usual 10 seconds which triggers the manual on?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd like to know as well. In the more rural areas near here there is exactly the same problem. Power dip or temprary outage at just past midnight can leave a couple of 500w PIR's on all night.

I've reduced the problem for a couple of customers by swapping to 150w lamps, or changing the lights to dawn/dusk ones with enegy saving bulbs. But a lot of people like the PIR 500w jobbies as an intruder deterent. Not sure if that works, but its what the customer wants.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Toolstation do them for a tenner.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well that is more expensive than an integrated PIR 500W halogen piece of s**te from the sheds:-)

You could feed the light from a separate photo cell

these also cost more than the original light.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Optimum position for a PIR is almost never the floodlight itself (floodlight wants to be much higher than a PIR), so combined units are very rarely the correct choice.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel