PIR Flood light

Any recommendations for a LED PIR Floodlight - maybe 30 watts to light drive at side of house from high up - pointing straight down.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In article , DerbyBorn writes

These have a lower colour temp than most so aren't as garish as daylight ones. Possibly less dazzle too as it has a diffuser covering multiple discrete SMD leds. PIR adjustable for sens, lux and time.

If you hit the right 2 digit suffix offer code then you should be able to get it for less than the full price shown. Best I've seen it at was £26.50 + VAT = £31.80.

Ah, here you go:

(£33.40 vs £39.85)

Reply to
fred

I have three of these any they are fine. One them I use as a portable workshop lamp and it gets bashed around but it still works.

They have a much wider beam than a halogen flood so the luminously per unit area is lower than you might expect.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Be aware that if, like mine, they are automatically switched they will not work unless you put a resistor in series. I actually have put in a low wattage oven lamp, it works fine.

Reply to
Broadback

In article , Broadback writes

No problem like that here, with relay based PIRs they work fine.

Are you referring to the old problem of solid state switched PIRs on light loads? In that case the small incandescent load was placed in parallel with the low energy light.

Reply to
fred

My apologies, I should have written parallel. :-(

Reply to
Broadback

And are you using a solid state switching PIR too?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Actually it is a control box, that has relays in it.

Reply to
Broadback

No problem.

I think that issue is mainly historical now, with the prevalence of low energy lighting, most new PIRs are relay based, require a neutral and do not attempt to steal power through the lamp when powered off. In those circs, there should be no minimum load.

The problem should now only arise when retrofitting new low energy lamps on older cheapie PIRs and with Lidl/Aldi selling decent new ones for a fver or so it makes sense to replace the nasty older ones.

In addition, the examples posted have integral PIRs so they should work with the supplied flood :-)

Reply to
fred

OK if a relay is switching the power to the light, then there should be no need for a filament lamp to increase the load.

Reply to
Bob Minchin