Pipex oddness

A month's worth of posts seem to have disappeared, just in this group though....

Ooer missus.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Not sure what you mean?

I download all the posts on the groups I read - no big deal with broadband and HD space these days - then set my newsreader to expire them after X days, read or unread.

Can't see any point in headers only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is if you are not always in a place with a high speed connection. Then just downloading headers is pretty useful.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If I use news-text-dial.pipex.com, as I have been recently, the last post on this group is on the 19th July yet all the other groups are up to date, as was this one yesterday. Using news.dsl.pipex.com or nntp.dsl.pipex.com it's all there. Odd.

Not a problem, I just won't use the dial one any more. To be honest I hadn't actually noticed that one was, presumably, for dialup and the other for dsl!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

It could be that the administrator of the system had to reload something or some files were lost etc. etc. These things happen

Running a news server is not the highest priority for an ISP.

I had an issue yesterday that they had removed one of my DNS records from their server and inbound mail stopped working for a while.

Pipex consists of an amalgamation of companies and networks (original Pipex, GXN, Firstnet, CIX,.....) that still have some of their systems run by different groups within the company. Thus, it isn't altogether surprising to find an inconsistency between the servers.

If it bothers you, a good option is to use a service where news is the prime focus like individual.net. There is a small charge for this, but the service is consistently good.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try - that's meant to be the best one - although you might need others for some groups. It seems to be getting all the post on here to me, although of course I can't be certain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Suppose if you're on the move. But then I don't own a laptop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)