Pipework behind kitchen units

What's the best height to run the hot and cold running water pipes in my kitchen, which will be entirely behind kitchen units?

I am thinking of running them clipped to the wall about 3cm and 6cm above ground level, and tee-ing straight up to the sink taps and other appliances, so that the majority of the pipework can be accessed in the future by simply removing the plinths. Is that the cool and froody thing to do, or is there a better option?

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Yes. That is best, if possible. It's the only way if you're using Ikea units. It also means you don't need to cut the side panels of other makes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If by 'plinth' you mean the strip at the front which hids the gap between the base of the unit and the actual floor, I personally wouldn't fancy reaching under by almost 600mm to get at the pipe fittings. If the whole base of the unit is removeable, that's a different matter.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

Many thanks, that's what I'll do then.

Getting the old units out was fun earlier in the week - all of the existing plumbing (including gas to a combi-boiler and a cooker) was clearly installed *after* the units had been put in (15mm, or possibly

16mm holes in the sides of each unit, so no room for manoeuvering at all). It took me about 1.5 hours to carefully cut out each unit without damaging any of the existing pipework, which goes on to supply the bathroom and needs to remain operable while I put the new pipework in.
Reply to
Chris Cowley

I replaced a kitchen wall cupboard around a gas meter once. That was fun....

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

If there is no skirting already to clip to, attach a plank to the wall where the skirting would be. It is a million times easier to clip to a plank of wood than the crumbly plaster/brick mix at the bottom of the wall, if that's what you have.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I very much doubt you could do any repairs etc if needed from access via the plinth. However, to go behind washing machines and dishwashers they need to be at this sort of height anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, it's plaster all the way down the floor. Good tip, that, thanks.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Well, it wouldn't be a fun job, that's for sure, but I reckon I could get a compression fitting done up under those conditions given plenty of time (I would probably have to swear a bit though).

Not that there will be anything to go wrong under there really - all the joints will be soldered (I wish I'd tried end-feed joins years ago, they are so much easier than compression fittings).

Very good point about the appliances though, I didn't even consider that!

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Chris Cowley