pipes through joists

I'm installing an en-suite, on a side of the house that is as far fro

the soil stack as i could be. Actually, the WC will be sited a mere 6 feet from the soil pipe, bu that 6 feet consists of the upstairs landing (so above floor soil pip is impractical), or 2 joists, should I want to install under th floor. So near, and yet so far, eh?

What alternatives do I have, apart from a macerator? I already have macerator elsewhere that i installed to pump waste up and over from downstairs loo. It's been in 5 years with no problems at all, so I' not prejudiced / scared of them, but I'd prefer not to have to us another.

Can I pass a soil pipe through a joist after reinforcing the joist? I so, what should be ised to reinforce it, and where can I get on from...

Any help wil be appreciated.

Iai

-- IainN

Reply to
IainN

Can you go down through the floor, between the joists, then box in the soil pipe along the ceiling to where it exits to the soil stack?

David

Reply to
Lobster

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:02:47 +0100 someone who may be IainN wrote this:-

As has been said, the room below is one option.

Alternatively it may be possible to run in the direction of the joists and then come down somewhere else. Or perhaps a second stack.

I take it you don't want to go outside with large diameter pipes.

They are best avoided if gravity drainage can be arranged, but this is not always possible/easy. Could you plan a re-arrangement of existing facilities, which may have been installed piecemeal, around a new services core?

No doubt it is possible to do, but I imagine the cost of doing this sort of thing is more than that of a macerator.

Reply to
David Hansen

Or go right down to the ground floor and then horizontally under the ground floor?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks for these answers -

The first - go down and box in - I've investigated but there's a stu wall supporting an RSJ in the way

Another soil stack - possible but as stared - more expensive than macerator.

I have solved it, though. by extending the stud partition pall agains which the loo will be fitted, and increasing its depth to accommodate

4" soilpipe, I can effectively box in the toilet end of the soilpipe an then pass through the floor to a wonderful, straight, unencumbered are of real estate between the joists.

Sorted!! I start this weekend.

Thanks again for your hel

-- IainN

Reply to