Pipes though tiles

I have a surface mounted shower valve with the hot and cold feed running down from it, though two holes in a horizontal row of tiles, and under the bath.

How do you make the hole which the pipe passes though watertight ?

I've had to rip the lot out as water had blown the tiles from the WBF board, so I'm keen to try and get it right this time!

Se=E1n

Reply to
DrLargePants

I had a similar instalation in my last house shower enclosure. I made the hole in the tile about 5mm oversize, filled the area under the tile with expanding foam and then filled (grouted?) the hole with silicon sealer. The theory is if the silicon fails, the foam will contain the problem and stop any leakage.

Another alternative is to fit a cap over the pipe. These have tapered tops so shed the water and also give a greater bond area to the silicon sealer.

John

Reply to
John

How do you make the hole which the pipe passes though watertight ?

I've had to rip the lot out as water had blown the tiles from the WBF board, so I'm keen to try and get it right this time!

Seán

bathroom sealant

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I think this is where I went wrong, I made the hole too close to the size of the pipe so there is not enough space to get enough silicon in.

In hindsight the pipes should have been buried in the wall, and the bath moved up against the wall, thus avoiding the problem...

Reply to
DrLargePants

Given that the materials are unlikely to be bone dry, as you need to get silicone sealant to stick, I'd use a Sticks-like-sh*t type of stuff. I use Toolstation's Stixall and if you google you'll find I bang on about it like a cracked record, but that's because I think it's pretty neat :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Oooh that sounds like just the ticket, thanks!

Reply to
DrLargePants