Pipe size calcs

Hi all

i need to size the pump for a heat pump slinky, the slinky is 250meters long and is, 22mm internal diameter and i need 30liters a minute flow of water. how do i calculate the size of pump i need for this , maybe id be better off with a bigger pipe? is there any guidance out there?

all help gratefully received!

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

try these to find the pressure drop with your proposed length and diameter.

RobertL

In addition to the tables I just posted I would comment:

30 litres/min (=3D0.5 litre/sec) in a 22mm pipe would flow at 1.5 m/ s. That is fast enough to be rather noisy. Generally IIRC one should keep the flow velocity less than 1 m/s for it to be quiet. But maybe that doesn't matter.

Also, the pressure drop will be 1000 Pa/metre and therefore 250,000 pascals for your 250m loop. That's over 2 Bar!

A Grunfoss alpha2 circulator develops a pressure of about 35,000 pascals at 0.5 litre/sec. So cleary you need a bigger pump than that!

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

For what it's worth - we have 6 x 100m of pipe in our heatpump installation - and it's piped in black 'alkathene'-type pipe with 1" outside diameter as far as the manifold - where it splits out into the six separate loops, each in its own trench.

The advantage of this (apparently) is that, in the event of one loop springing a leak it can be isolated at the manifold without needing to dig up & fix the whole groud-loop.

Our system (Hautec) came with the ground-loop pump pre-installed within the cabinet - are you sure that your system isn't the same ??

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Havn't checked the calcs but I would second those comments. I pump water from a spring to a holding tank (for my horses). I have 100 metres of 25 mm pipe and I get 30 litres/min using an eBay 2 inch chinese pump with notionally a 5 HP petrol engine.

Reply to
newshound

In addition to the tables I just posted I would comment:

30 litres/min (=0.5 litre/sec) in a 22mm pipe would flow at 1.5 m/ s. That is fast enough to be rather noisy. Generally IIRC one should keep the flow velocity less than 1 m/s for it to be quiet. But maybe that doesn't matter.

Also, the pressure drop will be 1000 Pa/metre and therefore 250,000 pascals for your 250m loop. That's over 2 Bar!

A Grunfoss alpha2 circulator develops a pressure of about 35,000 pascals at 0.5 litre/sec. So cleary you need a bigger pump than that!

Robert

Does it matter that the fluid is in a loop? i.e. i am just circulating the water/antifreeze around a circuit of pipe?

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

A rule of thumb was for starters to select a pipe size to give around

200 Pa/m pressure drop in straight pipe. You need details of all the hydraulic resistance of all the fittings in the circuit. The heat pump will have a heat exchanger which could be minimal resistance (tube-in-shell) or a major contributor to the resistance (brazed plate heat exchanger). Pressure losses for the pipe and swept bends will be on the manufacturer's website. The anti-freeze does affect it, it is usually more viscous (propylene glycol although it may be methanol in this application) and reduces the capacity of any given pump.
Reply to
Onetap