Pipe routing options requested for new combi boiler install.

I have almost finished the kitchen refurbishment in a property I am renovating and it will soon be time to have central heating installed including a new combi boiler in the kitchen.

I would be grateful for any ideas regarding pipe routing for the boiler before having a heating engineer down to look. See below for details.

Space has been left at the end of the wall unit run for the boiler and directly above that space I made a large void above a section of recently lowered ceiling ( needed to be lowered at that place for other reasons so presented itself as an ideal place for the boiler and piping ) to accommodate wet piping to the rest of the property. This gives near access to the notched joists that were used in the previous central heating system and subsequent access to the rest of the house for piping. Joist positions in the void would not obstruct piping rising up the wall on which the boiler will be mounted.

Unfortunately there is no viable option but to receive the gas supply for the boiler from below despite my dislike of pipes emerging from a kitchen worktop surface. The worktop in that place will remain removable until this has been completed.

Using the combi boiler in our house as an example, I see that pipes usually emerge from the bottom of the combi as that is where the unions are.

What I want to avoid on the renovation, if possible, is a bigish and intrusive pipe 'boxing in' situation below and to the right of the boiler where the wet pipes do an extended U turn and shift to the right ( to avoid the position where the boiler is actually mounted ) to make their way to the ceiling and the void.

My thoughts are these

1/. Is it permissible to mount the boiler on, say, 3" x 2" timbers, correctly spaced for the boiler mountings, fixed vertically to the wall to allow the wet pipes to pass behind the boiler and thus only needing a small U turn under the boiler avoiding any wide boxing in of pipes below and to the right of the boiler. ( Takes a breath ...... ). Obviously some diversion of pipes would be needed to avoid the flue. I could extend the 3 x 2 's to the ceiling to box in above the boiler - that would be OK and look much better than big boxing below.

2/. Do all wall mounted boilers only have pipe terminations at the bottom of the boiler. Is there such a thing as 'pipe U turn kit' to address the problem.

The property is a renovation for rental so I'm going to be looking for a budgetish boiler - not necessarily the lowest price though as eventually it is for my daughter.

How have you overcome a similar problem? Just want ideas to offer to the heating engineer.

Thanks - Jd

Reply to
JDT2Q

The WB 28i Greenstar Si, i junior and i System boilers have a boiler support frame which is fitted before the boiler and contains the five pipes which leave vertically. PJ

Reply to
PJ

You could also take the gas pipe outside for a short run and bring it back in just below the boiler.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Er, no: they have a mounting frame which, by some heroically precise pipe-bending, one might allegedly run the pipes through. The stand-off frame doesn't actually contain the pipes to make a vertical adaptation. I've managed to run 15mm hot & cold water pipes through without too much difficulty, but would baulk at trying to fit 22mm flow and return pipes into the space as well. Actually ISTR W-B doing a pre-piped vertical piping assembly for some of their range so you may be able to get something ready-made.

Reply to
YAPH

I would have thought that the Vertical Pre-Piping Assembly 7 716 192 570 would be useful even for professionals if it is not too expensive.

I wish that I had known about it before I fitted mine. I was grateful for the advice about the charging link which saved a lot of time. PJ

Reply to
PJ

That sounds like the thing. There was a picture of it made up somewhere.

Reply to
YAPH

There is a diagram about half way down the page on

am still curious about the cost, if anyone has recently bought one. I could not find a website which lists the assembly.

PJ

Reply to
PJ

yes - I did have a copy already, just forgot where I'd put it :-)

It does look like a virtuoso bit of pipe bending - not something you'd want to do by hand an a hurry!

Me neither :-(

Reply to
YAPH