Pipe on diesel engine

Today we went to start our Mitsubishi - Vetus marine diesel engine, and it wouldn't. We tracked the problem to a pipe between the fuel pump and the injector area. The pipe was about 1.5cm o/d with metallic mesh on the outside. On our way home we called at a hydraulic pipe shop who made up a replacement pipe, swaging on the banjo at one end and connector at the other.

The replacement pipe is black, they said it had internal mesh rather than external and is labelled EN853 2SN DN 6.3 -SAE 100 R2AT-04 plus something about MAX W P.

I've googled briefly and it looks as though this pipe is normally used for pressurised hot water amongst other things.

I will have to very slightly drill out the ring of the banjo to allow it over the thread of the brass fitting. They also supplied a couple of what look like rubber and steel 0-rings in case I can't get the copper washers to seal.

The engine is about 80 miles away. I'd really like to get the engine going when I'm back there on Saturday morning for the craning out, so the question is will this pipe be OK with diesel in it for a year or two? I understand we have to keep it away from the hottest parts of the engine, but I think that should be possible. It seems only slightly stiffer than the original.

As always, and help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Bill

Hydraulic places usually only have hoses that can take oils, so diesel should be fine in it, i gather you told them what it was for, i've had a fair few pipes from a hydraulics place when i was building my motorhome, from the 50mm pipe from the filler to the tanks, to 8mm pipes for the bleed off rail, all have been normal stuff they have in stock and have been fine for 8 years and counting.

Sound like dowty seals, i use them on my injector pump banjo's, not had one leak yet, had a copper o ring on one of the filters that just wouldent seal properly and sucked air in, a dowty seal sorted that out,

might want to check the hose complies with the boat safety certificate stuff, i know they are pretty strict on what can and can't be used for fuel lines, certian bs numbers being needed etc, not long ago i believe there was a change, and people had to replace hoses for exactly the same ones, but the new ones have a the bs number printed on it where the old didnt, (same thing happened with fire extinguishers, even tho some had the higher german TUV markings, it didnt have the right BS kite, so wasnt allowed)

they are also anal about leak off pipes, prefering them to be metal with screw fittings rather than flexi pipe pushed onto the nipples of the injectors road vehicle engines use, of course the metal pipes fatigue due to the vibrations and split then piss diesel all over the engine hole, but at least they arent plastic or rubber pipes that can melt in a fire, and that's all they seem to care about.

Reply to
Gazz

If the supplier/maker knew what it was for, yes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon