pipe cutters

Hello,

I see Screwfix sell pipe cutters that cut pipe up to 35mm or 42mm in diameter. The only pipes I can think of that size are 32mm and 40mm waste. Are these what you are supposed to use to cut waste pipe? I never knew that. I must confess I always used a (blush) hacksaw! Don't worry, I don't use it to cut barrier pipe! I have a proper cutter for that! If these do work on waste pipe, that would be a useful tool to have. Or is there some other 42mm pipe that I am not aware of?

Screwfix parts #27421 (to 35mm) and #61583 (to 42mm)

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

From the descriptions on the Screwfix site, these cutters are clearly intended for plastic (*not* copper!) pipe - so I assume they're for cutting waste pipe. They should also be ok for barrier pipe.

Whereas barrier pipe *must* have a clean cut, waste pipe is less fussy - and I've always used a fine-toothed tenon saw to cut it, and then cleaned up with a file. Unless you're cutting a *lot* of waste-pipe, I wouldn't bother to buy one of these cutters just for that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Both 35mm and 42mm are standard copper pipe sizes, as are 54mm, 67mm 76mm and 108mm. They just aren't used much in domestic installations. However, the cutters you reference are specifically marked as being for plastic pipe.

Me too. However, I have employed people who couldn't make a square cut with a hacksaw if their life depended upon it, so it is not for everyone.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I still prefer solvent weld so you don't really even need to clean up the saw cut - the solvent does it for you. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless you're cutting a *lot* of waste-pipe, I wouldn't bother

But if you are buying plastic pipe cutters for the first time (ie you need lots of 15mm or 22mm cuts) then maybe these are worth buying as they will do "all sizes" including waste pipe

I wonder how long the blade will cut waste pipes for before it is knackered on these cutters.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Yes, indeed. However, the OP indicated that he already had something to cut barrier pipe properly.

Reply to
Roger Mills