Pipe Bending

Hi Peter,

That's a good idea. Shouldn't take too much to create your own marks.

When I saw Dave's post, I tried a few times to open the link, and it failed. I edited the document to include the info about the guide marks and uploaded it back to the site. It then started working again. But I don't know how long that will last.

BillP.

Reply to
BillP

While I think of it, I have generally found that occasionally crinkling happens if I am a bit mean with the pipe when I make a bend too near to an end. It seems better to go about 15-20cm further in than the minimum and then cut off the spare pipe afterwards. Generally it doesn't get wasted since offcuts are usually needed anyway, and it's not expensive even if not for that amount.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Having now had a quick read of the terms & conditions I'd complain to Geocities as, to me, it doesn't violate their AUP. Couldn't find anything on bandwidth or X Giga/Mega bytes/month though.

Certainly for something that is likely to be popular, isn't obviously available elsewhere and in a moderately busy newsgroup. B-)

When ever I've posted links to my weather site in uk.sci.weather the number of hits has quite a large spike in it. The worst was when I had a picture published by APOD (Astronomy Picture of the Day) the hits went ballistic and took about 3 months to come back down to more "normal" levels of about 6,000/month. A weather link generally only doubles the monthly hit count but the period of increased hits is very short, two or three days. The last one generated 3600+ hits on the first day, 1000 on the second but was back to the normal of 400 or so on the 4th day.

Most ISPs offer freeweb space with their accounts. Does NTL offer anything? Might need to check the AUP for any limits though. I personnaly don't like geocities as there are so many ads and popups all over the place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi Andy,

Strangely enough, I'd never had a problem with my bender crinkling the pipe until this week, after this thread had started. I pulled a bend , it crinkled. I cut another length from the same tube and pulled it again. It was fine, it's not done it since. Still waiting to here what Ed's routine eminence is. I can only assume it's oiling the rollers and smoothing the nicks and gouges in the formers.

I've not had problems with crinkling when pulling near the end of the pipe. My bender seems to tolerate the hook about 20mm from the end and pulls without crinkling, of course putting the hook any nearer to the end of the pipe before pulling the bend, tends to oval the end making it difficult to push into fittings, I always avoid doing that.

BillP.

Reply to
BillP

I believe it is 50MB with NTL broadband but it does mean that you are intentionally publishing your username, and as the URL and your primary email address are derived from it, may lead to spam harvesting.

A short lived alternative is to sign up for a dialup account with whoever and use the space that comes with that, for the cost of the call to upload your content.

Me too.

Reply to
Toby

Flocking spill chucker. (s eminence/maintenance)

Reply to
BillP

I thought that when I put the link up on geocities. The email address that derives from that link is one I set up a couple of years ago incase I get spammed to death. I tried to keep my ntl address spam free. However, some bar steward that I've had dealings with has leaked my ntl address that now gets 30+ spam a day, and the other one gets about 2 a month.

Reply to
BillP

Yup - you should always leave at least the depth of your fitting etc past the hook.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Me too! I hope Ed's not too eminent to share it with us, it might even help the OP.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

You got it. Make sure everything is smooth and well pushed in.

Reply to
IMM

I should hope not - I was referring to the turquoise no-name brand B&Q and Screwfix (at least - I'm sure others also) sell.

John S

Reply to
John Stumbles

It's mail addresses that appear on web pages that get 95% or so of junk mail with usenet visible ones a very distant second. So don't publish your E-Mail address on the web if you can possibly avoid it. If you do then you can avoid the bulk of the address harvesters by encoding the address so it appears visibly correct on the page but isn't obviously an E-Mail address in the HTML itself.

Reply to
usenet

No its not the materials that you save by being able to put a bend where you want it. It the joints; in fact its not the cost of the joints which are pence (endfeed fittings) but the time taken to make the joint.

Yep, wire wool the dies, wire wool the hubs, check the rollers are free, check that the hub nut is firm but not 100% immovable. Lightly spray with SX90 (Screwfix WD40).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Shucks I rather liked the prvious rendering of maintenance.8-)

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Hello Bill,

I have only just noticed your request for placing your "Bending.doc" file on another site. It's a useful paper and the obvious place to put it is on the UK.D-I-Y FAQ site

I have downloaded a copy and will be more than happy to put it on the FAQ site if you wish.

The FAQ section on Pipe Bending (under "Page 3 Other Plumbing") at the moment is simply a search link that retrieves matching posts from this newsgroup, and as such will include your post (and all this thread) in the returned list.

Apologies again for the delay in responding but with the heavy traffic here I can only read a fraction of the posts. If anyone wants to make a request like this please copy me by email, or the chances are that I will not know about it. Anyone else, feel free to forward me posts relating to the FAQ, although I WILL see the originals if they have "FAQ" or "uk.d-i-y" in the subject line.

Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison