Pipe Bending

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:04:57 +0000, BillP wrote:

Shucks I rather liked the prvious rendering of maintenance.8-)
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Yup - you should always leave at least the depth of your fitting etc past the hook.
--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Me too! I hope Ed's not too eminent to share it with us, it might even help the OP.
cheers, Pete.

You got it. Make sure everything is smooth and well pushed in.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:50:43 +0000, BillP wrote:

No its not the materials that you save by being able to put a bend where you want it. It the joints; in fact its not the cost of the joints which are pence (endfeed fittings) but the time taken to make the joint.

check that the hub nut is firm but not 100% immovable. Lightly spray with SX90 (Screwfix WD40).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:07:47 -0000, BillP wrote:

"This page is not available."
I suspect that you have just used your entire months bandwidth in the last 4hrs. The power of posting a link in a newsgroup...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Yep seems to have died.
I've never posted a link before. Is that what usually happens?
If people are finding it useful, can it be posted somewhere else and linked to from the FAQ site?
BillP.
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:16:42 -0000, BillP wrote:

Having now had a quick read of the terms & conditions I'd complain to Geocities as, to me, it doesn't violate their AUP. Couldn't find anything on bandwidth or X Giga/Mega bytes/month though.

Certainly for something that is likely to be popular, isn't obviously available elsewhere and in a moderately busy newsgroup. B-)
When ever I've posted links to my weather site in uk.sci.weather the number of hits has quite a large spike in it. The worst was when I had a picture published by APOD (Astronomy Picture of the Day) the hits went ballistic and took about 3 months to come back down to more "normal" levels of about 6,000/month. A weather link generally only doubles the monthly hit count but the period of increased hits is very short, two or three days. The last one generated 3600+ hits on the first day, 1000 on the second but was back to the normal of 400 or so on the 4th day.

Most ISPs offer freeweb space with their accounts. Does NTL offer anything? Might need to check the AUP for any limits though. I personnaly don't like geocities as there are so many ads and popups all over the place.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I believe it is 50MB with NTL broadband but it does mean that you are intentionally publishing your username, and as the URL and your primary email address are derived from it, may lead to spam harvesting.
A short lived alternative is to sign up for a dialup account with whoever and use the space that comes with that, for the cost of the call to upload your content.

<AOL> Me too.
--
Toby.

but it does mean that you are

I thought that when I put the link up on geocities. The email address that derives from that link is one I set up a couple of years ago incase I get spammed to death. I tried to keep my ntl address spam free. However, some bar steward that I've had dealings with has leaked my ntl address that now gets 30+ spam a day, and the other one gets about 2 a month.

junk mail with usenet visible ones a very distant second. So don't publish your E-Mail address on the web if you can possibly avoid it. If you do then you can avoid the bulk of the address harvesters by encoding the address so it appears visibly correct on the page but isn't obviously an E-Mail address in the HTML itself.
--
Chris Green

Hello Bill,
I have only just noticed your request for placing your "Bending.doc" file on another site. It's a useful paper and the obvious place to put it is on the UK.D-I-Y FAQ site http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /. I have downloaded a copy and will be more than happy to put it on the FAQ site if you wish.
The FAQ section on Pipe Bending (under "Page 3 Other Plumbing") at the moment is simply a search link that retrieves matching posts from this newsgroup, and as such will include your post (and all this thread) in the returned list.
Apologies again for the delay in responding but with the heavy traffic here I can only read a fraction of the posts. If anyone wants to make a request like this please copy me by email, or the chances are that I will not know about it. Anyone else, feel free to forward me posts relating to the FAQ, although I WILL see the originals if they have "FAQ" or "uk.d-i-y" in the subject line.
Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

BillP wrote:

> [...]
I think you'll find the former is a bit loose: if you find a bit of thin (1mm - 2mm) metal and slip it between the former and the wheel it should improve matters. Is your bender one of those turquoise colour ones (from Screwfix or B&Q)? I had one and sent it back as I decided it was crap[1] and bought a Hilmor from BES instead. I still occassionally get wrinklies but it's the exception rather than the rule, whereas it was the other way round with the other.
[1] with apologies to the inventor of that most useful device for treansferring 'soil' to sewer for the misuse of his name :-)

Excellent! I'll give that a try.
John S

I've got a Record bender from B&Q, and in spite of heavy use, I've never had a single wrinkly. :-}
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I should hope not - I was referring to the turquoise no-name brand B&Q and Screwfix (at least - I'm sure others also) sell.
John S