Pipe Bending

Page 2 of 3

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
(TOGGY) wrote:

I doubt it. They always had a calendar with naked girls with stilsons over their shoulders.

Then it has a 'd' in it, as in
http://www.ridgid.com /
Is this the one you meant?

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
(TOGGY) wrote:

Not sure.

Toggy,
Putting a pipe bending spring inside will help stop it kinking.
Also try annealing the tube by heating it up and letting it cool slowly.
cheers, Pete.

The beauty of a pipe bending machine is you can bend the pipe near anywhere along its length. Don't fancy your chances of getting a spring out from the middle of a 3 metre length.

It shouldn't be necessary with a machine.
--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:48:42 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

When I used to use a bending spring (several years ago now) I found that a straightened out coat hanger did the business. You can probably also use curtain wire.
However bending springs are 20th century :)
PoP

It will depend on the bend, but I suspect the old soft copper didn't grip a spring like the modern stuff does. Besides, the modern stuff will simply crinkle if you try and bend it more than a few degrees with a spring.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Hi,
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:48:42 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Just tie a length of fencing wire or similar to the spring, pull it in to where the bend will be, once the bend is made pulling on the wire will stretch the spring making it's diameter contract and it will come out quite easily.

True, but if it's a one off then it might be better than a trip to get another machine or a spring.
Just reread the original post and wonder if it's worth lining the round 'former' of the pipe bender with a thin strip of rubber, this might help the prevent inner side of the tube sliding and being compressed into a kink while bending it.
cheers, Pete.
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:43:20 +0000, Pete C wrote:

A Kopex rotary pipe cutter is such a boon but it will make the spring almost impossible to extract. My Record bender only kinks (inside ripples) pipe very occasionally which is always a wake up call to do some maintenance on the bender.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:27:57 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
<snip>

What sort of maintenance?
cheers, Pete.

I've put this document together, it might be useful to new users of pipe benders. It's an easy method of getting bends in the right place with no wasted off-cuts. www.geocites.com/wjp_gof/Bending.doc
BillP

That's a real help. I ended up deducing something similar last time I needed to do some accurate pipe installation.
Regarding the kinking, I am sure that I remember that putting sand in the pipe was one technique to address this, but it seemed a bad idea in case grains are left behind

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
BillP wrote

That's brilliant Bill, especially the diagrams. Is there any tips for when I've pulled a bend too far?
Peter

HI Peter,
It depends on how far you've over pulled the bend. It's sometimes better to slightly over pull than under pull. If you under pull, stick the bend back in the machine and pull the bend further. Don't be tempted to just ease it a little more out of the machine as it usually caves in all of a sudden and kinks. If you've over pulled slightly however, you can ease it back to 90 by just opening the bend by hand.
Some benders have marks on the edge of the round former. Hilti and Record do. If you've seen these and wondered what they're for, I'll include the explanation on the Bending.doc, but as Dave has pointed out that link seems to have died.
The marks are used as followed. Start pulling the bend, if you stop when the centre line of the pipe is in line with the first mark, you've pulled 30 degrees, c/l pipe with next mark 45 degrees, c/l of pipe with next mark 90 degrees.
BillP

Thanks Bill. There are no marks on my bender - it's a Rothenberger like Andy's - but it's another good idea and maybe I'll experiment and put my own marks on it.
BTW, the link you posted is still working fine for me !!!
Cheers again Peter

That's a good idea. Shouldn't take too much to create your own marks.
When I saw Dave's post, I tried a few times to open the link, and it failed. I edited the document to include the info about the guide marks and uploaded it back to the site. It then started working again. But I don't know how long that will last.
BillP.
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:22:46 -0000, "Peter Taylor"

While I think of it, I have generally found that occasionally crinkling happens if I am a bit mean with the pipe when I make a bend too near to an end. It seems better to go about 15-20cm further in than the minimum and then cut off the spare pipe afterwards. Generally it doesn't get wasted since offcuts are usually needed anyway, and it's not expensive even if not for that amount.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Hi Andy,
Strangely enough, I'd never had a problem with my bender crinkling the pipe until this week, after this thread had started. I pulled a bend , it crinkled. I cut another length from the same tube and pulled it again. It was fine, it's not done it since. Still waiting to here what Ed's routine eminence is. I can only assume it's oiling the rollers and smoothing the nicks and gouges in the formers.
I've not had problems with crinkling when pulling near the end of the pipe. My bender seems to tolerate the hook about 20mm from the end and pulls without crinkling, of course putting the hook any nearer to the end of the pipe before pulling the bend, tends to oval the end making it difficult to push into fittings, I always avoid doing that.
BillP.

Flocking spill chucker. (s eminence/maintenance)