Ping TMH (Patio canopies)

well 4 small images dozens of popups and no mushrooms

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was in the rough at that stage.

It was. Her partner at the time (who I believe you met) bought a lorry and trailer of timber for their firewood business up there and while they had that order going she tacked a few lengths of red cedar on to play with (chainsaw carving) . She did that seahorse, a load of mushrooms (that sold like hot cakes at the local store) and a few 'Easter Island heads', just for fun etc. My Mum has one of the larger mushrooms and this little bear in her back garden.

It's a shame she hasn't had the opportunity to do more as she likes doing it.

Nooo ... that seems such a shame with oak. Just remembered, was that across the road in a field of yours and they cut it up for you (or something like that)?

Phew. ;-)

The splits probably wouldn't bother a 'chunky' vertical carving but I'm guessing oak may take a bit of cutting (I'll ask her when she comes in).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

That was converted and used for my workshop walls. I have some 18' scantling and planks from the last one to fall over. Sadly the mobile saw has been sold and the new owner does not believe in spending money on blade sharpening.

When we installed the farmhouse log burner, I did a count of dead and dying mature Oaks on the farm. I reckoned there were enough to see me out!

It has sat there for 12 months. Big surprise recently. Someone turned up in a nice car and offered huge sums of money for some rooted Oak stumps I had used for gate stops. I think he must have seen the stumpery at Highgrove:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah, cool. ;-)

Nowt as strange as folk. ;-(

That must be nice to know (have known). Free fuel for life! ;-)

That said, we went and stayed with daughter, and her b/f's family in Scotland over an Xmyth and whilst the fire (and back boiler) was 'nice' it reminded me of ours when I was a kid and how much work it took. Not only cutting and drying the fuel but keeping the fire in and cleaned out etc. It was like having a pet or child. ;-)

It seems quite difficult to stop green wood from splitting as it dries out and I think the wood turners often treat the ends with wax to manage how their stocks dry.

So did you?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m