Ping TMH (or rather his daughter)

MedicAlert has basic information (the most important stuff) engraved on the bracelet with the numbers. And they supply a printed card too.

My son and I both use this...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Only just got hold of her, she's been on shifts.

The most common is a tube in the fridge, they always look there first if attending at a home. No good if you're out and about.

USB devices aren't any help, they have no way of reading them on the ambulance or FRU. The hospital could read them, but she thinks it would probably be overlooked or lost. She has never actually come across one in 7 years.

She thinks a tiny capsule, roughly the size of a tyre valve attached to a bracelet or necklace is the best. Especially if the bracelet had "medical details in capsule" engraved on it.

The info she would want on paper in the capsule;

Name DOB Next of kin Allergies Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?

Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

/Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?

Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well. /q

Go on then I call.... Name some of these life threatening conditions that'll get you before you get some pred in a day or so?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

That's not my point. My point is that you can't simply diagnose a condition from someone's medication. Prednisolone was just an example. There are plenty of drugs administered forwidely differing conditions. Few would be life-threatening in the short-term if medication was altered/stopped briefly etc. but why should anyone have to guess when it would make far more sense to include the illness.

Your newsreader is still broken.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You can't be sure that anything valuable won't be stolen while you are lying helpless:

Nightjar

I think what TMH's daughter meant, was that in the context of a paramedic and an emergency situation they can probably tell from the medication the important things that matter to them, rather than do a full diagnosis.

But no, assuming there is space then I can't see the reason for not including the medical condtion(s)

Reply to
Chris French

In message , john james writes

What are you referring to by 'the best phones', in what way is not just giving an example helpful?

I have a recent model (2014) android phone running Android Kitkat 4.4.4 there is no in built Medical Info display on the lock screen that I am aware of. Not even really sure what you are talkign about

No will ICE contacts appear on there AFAIK, though you can probably get apps to do that.

Reply to
Chris French

If the person is sufficiently lucid then yes of course find out.

If a known diabetic, not lucid or unable to get a conversation, or being in a coma, then I would search them for any dextrose and do my best to get it into their mouth.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Just repeating what she said.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No.

Not necessarily built in to the OS, with androids that stuff its trivially addable with an app.

Reply to
john james

/Your newsreader is still broken. /q

I find it works perfectly adequately for this group.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

And first responders won't necessarily look there either.

Looks like you need quite a bit of redundancy, a card in your wallet, Medical ID on your phone, maybe even a bracelet, tho like you I have never been into jewellery of any kind and haven't worn a watch for decades now.

Reply to
john james

In Settings, go to 'Security' and 'Owner Info'. I think that's all they meant. That goes on the lock screen but I don't think there's much space.

You could always put in some text telling people how to unlock it :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

At the same level as would a smudge fire and a blanket to make smoke signals, i.e. barely.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The scary thing is the number of people who seem to the think that what a diabetic needs in an emergency is insulin though...

Reply to
John Rumm

Stuff like the iphones which have been updated to the latest iOS and the best of the androids like the high end Samsungs and stuff like that.

He said that he doesn't intend to change his phone to get that.

That was a specific comment about iphones running iOS8.

Yes you can and that is what I meant. Sure, I should have said that less cryptically.

Reply to
john james

Yes, my Android phone does that too. So I suppose that I could put 'ICE'-type contact information there. Anyone seeing it would need to use a different phone to make contact though, 'cos they wouldn't be able to make any calls on my phone without knowing the password.

Reply to
Roger Mills

For a hypo, it's usually Coca-Cola and/or a Jaffa cake...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Define adequately. What if someone isn't using a threaded newsreader or drops in on a new group? How are they supposed to know who you're quoting as you don't do attributions (or do do them and get them wrong)?

What if you want to quote the last two contributors comments? Your "system" seems to totally break down when it comes to correctly attributing quotes to more than one respondent.

I didn't mind so much when I thought that you didn't know that your system was crap. Now I know that you do know and just don't give a f*ck.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+