Ping Phil,

What is the proper way to secure an access chamber cover in a paved area?

I have a square Polypipe plastic access in an area I plan to pave with

600mm concrete slabs (probably using sharp sand dry mix). The cover is a sliding fit in the chamber to allow height adjustment. The corners project beyond the tube but not by very much. Lean mix concrete or..?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A sharp sand/cement mix of about 4:1 is sufficient if it's only taking foot traffic, but put mortar all around the manhole, not just at the corners.

Once you've got your levels and you know what height the flags are going to finish at, use a stringline across the top of the manhole and set the frame into sand/cement, but remove the lid first, then once your satisfied it's at the correct height and no mortar has fell down the manhole, put the lid on and stay away from it for 24 hours.

I did one of these last week for a customer and had to go and buy a riser ring because the top was 40mm too low :-( the ring was 320mm in diameter and 200mm in height and I had to get one and cut off a measly 40mm.

Reply to
Phil L

Right. Polypipe use a huge *O* ring seal but I take your point.

Hmm.. not cheap either:-(

Thanks

regards

Reply to