Ping Nightjar ~ Pulse Oximeter

I've been recommended by a denizen of another ng to contact you regarding this quest. I want to purchase a Pulse Oximeter as a gift to the home nursing service that looked after my mum so diligently in her last few months. I know nothing of such things and googling has left me quite bewildered. Any suggestions on make/model/supplier would be greatly appreciated. Also, I would appreciate input from any other readers of this message. Many thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Unfortunately, non-invasive therapy was never part of my area of expertise. If you wanted to buy something for sticking into of people, I might be better placed to help :-)

As you say, there is a bewildering range of products, as well as prices. I think your best option is to speak to the home nursing service, tell them what you would like to do and, optionally, how much you would like to pay, and ask them which they would prefer. There may be factors such as the degree of accuracy or whether the device has a memory function that are important, or possibly are quite irrelevant, to the way they use them. They will know that, while we can only guess.

Regards

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

We currently have a pair (*) of Nonin pulse oximeters - a bedside 9600 (**) and a portable 8500 (***) of the two we mostly use the bedside one as this is portable (it has rechargeable batteries for use away from the bedroom) but it enables us to monitor over a period without eating batteries. These were a lot more expensive than the cheap units that are available on Amazon but we needed something that we could rely on to be accurate. The two units do match each other but as we haven't had them calibrated recently it is possible that both are wrong :-)

The sensors can be very expensive (£100+ each) so it may be best to check that whichever unit you buy is compatible with any unit the nursing service already uses.

Hope this helps

(*) Bought from

(**)
(***)

Ferretygubbins

I have seen a lot of positive reports about this one - including from genuine nursing staff who use them regularly:

Finger Pulse Oximeter SM-110 with Carry Case and Neck/Wrist Cord by Santamedical

Unfortunately, UK Amazon seem not to have them available at present. Might well be available from elsewhere - price was around £22.

I do not have personal experience.

Reply to
polygonum

We bought this £30 one from Ana-Wiz last year, excellent service and good price, and they still have it on their site

Phil Addison

The best thing is to give them the money and they can buy something they need rather than possibly lumbering them with some bit of kit that's of no use to them.

Seen it often before. Useless gifts just chucked in a cellar somewhere.

Reply to
harry