Ping F - was Duxford Airshow good?

Simply awesome. Both days. Vulcan XH558 on the Saturday and the two Lancasters on the Sunday.

I took a trip to Doncaster last Thursday to see the Vulcan on its last flight of the season. Never was the saying that if it looks right it is right' more true! And in this case, 'if it sounds right...'! A wing-over on full power. Poetry! It's a hanger tour to get close up next.

The engines will soon be out of hours so it looks like 2015 will be the last season in the air. If anyone wants to see and hear a lump of metal that can, and does, move grown men to tears, next year's displays will be announced on

where they'll also accept donations...

Oh, and thanks for the original mention: you prompted me to do something I've thoroughly enjoyed.

The Canadian Lancaster after some delays on route due to weather finally got home yesterday.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Yes, that round trip has to be quite a feat in a 69 year old plane!

I watched part of it on Flightradar24 and they were stacked when they arrived at Keflavik. Six hours of flying low and slow and they're asked to fly in circles when they arrive. Wasn't as though Keflavik wasn't expecting them.

And to add insult to injury, they've got to find $180,00 to return the engine they borrowed. Nobody got any spare capacity for a freebie between Canada and Coningsby?

Saw a Vulcan at an airshow (RAF Leuchars) late 70s (air cadet). It did a low and slow flypast, (pre Ramestein) so pretty low. Engines seemed to be at full chat (probably waited till display line start then hit full throttle), the noise and sight was something else. So majestic and soul reaching; even at 16 it moved the 'bejeesus outa me'.

God of fire indeed.

Was looking for YouTube videos demonstrating the howl and majesty of this thing flying past but none of the ones I looked at seemed to do it justice.

"if you only see one aircraft in flight this year..."

Nearest I can find.

soup

soup wrote in news:m0ba4q$7mn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Awesome

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Videos can only provide a small subset of the Vulcan experience: you can see it, you can (just about!) hear it but you don't feel it!

No, "if you only see one aircraft in flight EVER..."

is much quieter, but if you're looking for 'majesty', check out the wing-over at 0:55...

The "year" thing was because you had said the engines were almost out of time and the Aircraft was unlikely to fly beyond 2015.

Reply to
soup

Ah, I see. But my thought still stands: "if you only see one aircraft in flight EVER..."

I doubt there is a sound system out there that can do justice to the physical sensation of one of those doing a fly past!

Reply to
John Rumm

You're not wrong. The Vulcan is 'moving' in many senses of the word!

Isn't that figure to cover repairs to their own damaged engine ,No doubt the RAF or RCAF will find a way to transport an engine when its ready. Still possible to give a donation via the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum website.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Similar thing at Biggin Hill one year and when he got to the end of the airfield he stood it on its tail and climbed nearly vertical and was gone in seconds. Boy did the earth move! :)

Reply to
The Other John

I was at the Farnborough Air Show when the RAF aerobatic team was flying Lightnings. All 9 took off simultaneously and went up vertically. That was noisy ;-)

Reply to
charles

I could not make it - but I could hear it:-) Where did you park up to watch it at Doncaster?

It must be allowed to keep on flying.

You are welcome. I am so glad that it turned up at Duxford for you. One other tip. The Vulcan usually does the showing off at Doncaster airport only on it's first and last take off of the touring season. So get back to Donny in 2015. If your not to bothered about heights I know a house roof you can sit on with excellent views of the airport - and smell the unburnt fuel as the Vulcan takes off (and there is a pub across the road).

Reply to
ARW

might have one:-)

But in real life there is nothing like actually been there as the Vulcan shows off.

Reply to
ARW

I went sailing on the wrong day.

My wife was in the garden weeding, and heard this noise. Couldn't work out where it was coming from. Then XH558 came over the house - as best as I can guess at 1000' or so...

And I was out :(

(We've had a Herc at what I reckon was twice wingspan once. So about

250... and Pavehawks past the end of the garden below the skyline, which given the valley is only 80ft deep...)
Reply to
Vir Campestris

I'm not sure.

I was at Farnborough once, and Brian Trubshaw brought a Concorde over from Heathrow, empty and presumably with not much fuel. He did a low pass, then a full power climb.

And another occasion they sat a Tornado on the end of the runway, brakes on, throttles open (dry) which covered the noise of the other 6 coming the other way on a long glide... until they opened up at the end of the runway...

But yes, it's magnificent.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Looks like it on a second search. My mistake.

I went to Southport (pathetic traffic arrangements for the last 3 miles meant it took me 4.5 hours instead of 1.75) to see it but it cancelled due to low cloud base at Doncaster.

I didn't return on the Sunday for the re-arranged appearance but late Sunday afternoon I heard a 'loud noise' that I thought was just one of Jet2's noisy 757s taking off from Leeds-Bradford. I found out two hours later that the Vulcan had flown directly overhead the house...