Ping Bill Wright SIG 8008

I spent this morning with a BT engineer looking for the cause of >100 apartments with poor Broadband speed. We identified the culprit as a Compact Line SIG 8008 on the 14th floor.

With power on to the 8008 the flats get ~880K speed, with power off to it they get 5Mb.

Is this likely to be just a faulty 8008 and a straight swap (or a swap for something similar) or should I now just pass this on to a pro in aerials?

Reply to
ARW

Well done for finding it, what gear was used to track it down?

It probebly has a SMPS in it that's squegging like a good'n. I wouldn't fancy the chances of LW/MW radio reception anywhere near it either.

Reply to
Graham.

I don't like them things. I took over a contract where someone had used one at every institution and I had a lot of bother with them. They're all ripped out now. I've never had one generating that much RF though, so I guess the one you have is faulty.

You can't really replace it without an analyser to check levels, c/n, etc.

We normally replaced them with a preamp followed by a passive filters followed by a power amp.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ta. I'll leave it to the pros.

And you have worked for this company. Your name was stamped on the TV stuff at another property owned by this firm.

Reply to
ARW

Ring our Paul then.

Yes, I'm not surprised. Although last year I got a call from a maintenance guy who'd got the number off a label on a head-end. I was vaguely surprised because I'd never set foot at that place. When we saw the gear we recognised it as items that had been 'scrapped' by a firm called in by the Head Office (London) of a very large nation-wide organisation to 'convert all the systems for digital'. (This despite the fact that we'd done this several years before and no work was necessary.) These cowboys had removed all our channelised head-end equipment (including VSB modulators) and fitted simple wideband amps with no filters of any kind. In other words, they'd removed £2,000 worth, fitted £200 worth, and charged a mint. Then they'd used some of the gear they'd nicked on other jobs, without even bothering to remove the labels.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Dunno. The BT guy had the "wand" that buzzed:-) But the real gear was the brains of two people working together in a building that we were unfamiliar with.

My job was to isolate electrical equipment when requested. A nice job as this is a 15 storey building that I have only been to 3 times and I really have no idea know where stuff is.

Reply to
ARW