Ping Bill Wright

I know this should go elsewhere but would rather display my ignorance among friends...

TV aerial feeds. We have a loft 4 way amplifier. How likely am I to get away with simply Teeing off the load end of one of those to supply a

5th. load?

Impending lodger!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

go to Maplins, buy a 6dB attenuator, plug it into the feed to any existing set. If you still get good results then it should be OK to split, if not replace the 4 outlet amplifier with a 6 outlet one,

who will need his (or her) own tv licence.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Shush! Might be few weeks only anyway.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

very likely actually with a proper resistive splitter.

Or even without..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does that apply to what you'd call a 'paying guest' who shares all the house facilities with the family?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As I remember the rules it applied to anyone who wasn't "family".

Reply to
charles

Adopt them?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Actually, rather than buying an attenuator, then having to go out and buy a splitter, why not just by a splitter and see what happens?

A passive splitter of the inductive kind should not be affected if no set is connected to the other output, as far as I can recall. Modern sets are pretty good and in the end its the signal quality that matters, not so much the strength on digital sources. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not as far as I know if you share the tv, but it might if they have a private room with thier own tv in it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There was some case a while back along the lines of a Foster carer of a young youth was taken to court over this issue as they had their own tv. I do not know what the age limits are either, but It sounds a bit mean to me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I always found the inductive ones better than the resistive ones myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just fit a splitter on the shortest existing feed.

CPC:

AP00090 (uses belling plugs) AP02109 (uses f plugs) AP02104 (uses f plugs)

Given that you have an amp with gain to each output it's highly unlikely the 4dB loss will make any difference.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

charles put finger to keyboard:

Lodgers who rent a bedroom and share the rest of the house are covered by the main TV licence. (This would also apply to a group of friends renting a property together.)

Tenants who have exclusive access to their own domain would need a separate TV licence.

It is important when taking a lodger to ensure they don't put a lock on their bedroom door.

Reply to
Scion

ISTR in a posh house, servants who lived in were covered by the house licence. The gardener living in the gate house, not. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately, the nearest cable is also the longest. Probably about

25m! I have a distant recollection that attenuators were fitted to the amp o/ps during the original installation but no idea why.

Ordering from CPC invites another deluge of catalogues:-)

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I assumed you would run the new cable back to a point near the amp.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Or get a lodger who is over 75 and claim your free license.

No good having Brian as a lodger as he only gets a 50% discount to watch nothing.

Reply to
ARW

5 more years and I'll have my own:-(
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not impossible but a job for a younger person. Much easier before the loft insulation was topped up.

Splitters look to be cheap enough to buy and try.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think you will find that it is only if you live in self contained accommodation that you need a separate licence - so I find the foster child story very hard to believe.

Reply to
Judith