Ping Andy Burns

Andy

On 2 August you kindly responded to my query concerning an NTE5 connection using CAT5E which indicated a need for 4 data and 2 phone wires as follows:

wht/org = ethernet 1 >org = ethernet 2 >wht/grn = ethernet 3 >grn = ethernet 6 > >wht/brn = phone 2 >brn = phone 5 > >wht/blu = unused >blu = unused

I have just spotted this online which indicates that the BT VDSL faceplate has just 2 connections for a hardwired VDSL connection.

Is this an error or is the other pair not really necessary for a basic connection?

I have tried to find something definitive on VDSL wiring but so far have not had any luck.

Reply to
rbel

ADSL,VDSL is a phone line, just two wires.

Reply to
dennis

that was assuming you wanted the modem downstairs in your cupboard, and then extending the ethernet to your router upstairs

and also phone to upstairs

I've never had the front off of a VDSL socket, so not seen the VDSL extension wiring (it's like the clarity ADSL faceplates)

You could of course run the VDSL extension upstairs on one pair, and the phone extension upstairs on another pair (instead of ethernet) then you'd have the modem and router upstairs, not in your cupboard (perhaps not a bad thing as others mentioned re: heat from the boiler)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Many thanks Andy and Dennis. I have decided to run the CAT5E from the NTE5 in the hallway, via the boiler cupboard and loft and down again to a location by my desk where I will fit an RJ11 module for the BT modem/Billion router and a secondary phone module.

Reply to
rbel

In article , rbel writes

Through the cupboard with the boiler and its spark ignition module? Are you sure you wana do that?

Reply to
fred