Ping Adam re charges

In message , Tim Streater writes

Selenium diode?

You just need to be old enough!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Try a google for metal oxide rectifier and see if that's what it was

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Tell him to pay for it out of his own money. Presumably he uses it too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never had any rivalry between us, pleased to say. My father has always been very practical. He did lots of electronics before I was born, and designed and installed his central heating system, lots of carpentry, wiring, and other things like that. I was always interested in these. He was more than happy to allow me to do things I wanted to as a teenager - installing loft lights, porch lights, more sockets in my bedroom, etc. He didn't do much electronics after I was born, but I found his biscuit tins full of components in the loft and took them over, making things out of the resistors, pots, and other things in them. He started buying me Everyday Electronics magazine occationally, and I started building things from it, and more importantly teaching myself how to modify the designs to do other things.

Nowadays, he's pleased that I can offer to replace a corroded radiator, or fix up the leaks which keep appearing in some "professionally" installed plumbing they had done a couple of years ago, or any of the other things around the house which he could also do.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yeah, that'll be the badger. Yuh gotta remember that this was 50 years ago so I only have a hazy recollection of what it looked like. It was open circuit, though.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In the detector demodulator stage for Am and for FM as a ratio detector. They were used in TV's as well the EB91 didn't have it all its own way;!...

Quite a prevalent fault and often made worse by those in the assembly lines sucking on Oranges and other citric acid based fruits, which then got on their fingers and did corrosive things to fine copper wire....

Reply to
tony sayer

No, he doesn't. He always leaves it on.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In the most part down to the efficiency of the speakers used. As well as the way outputs on an amp are measured now and then. Also, a valve amp might well distort more gradually than a solid state design so could produce a lot more watts before distortion became so bad you called a halt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

By 17 I had fitted a flux capacitor to a DeLorean, and had managed to make it pull about one point twenty-one jiggerwatts...

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

In place of a 'Westector' which was used as the detector in the Wartime Civilian Receiver. See:

down to 'Initial Tests and Repairs'.

Westector was a Westinghouse trade mark - no doubt similar devices were produced by other manufacturers.

Reply to
Terry Casey

That's a *far* posher unit than what we had.

Reply to
Tim Streater