Pinching the Garage -effect on house value?

The missus would like a utility room for the washing machine, etc This would mean taking 1/3 of the back of the garage, currently a single garage big enough for one car. (I only have a motorbike and so personal use is not a problem) Hardly anyone in our road uses their garage for a car it would seem

Would reducing the garage to 2/3rd the length effect the house value? considering the house gains a utility room with access to the outside via a side door, this would be a benefit, no?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Vass

What sort of garage is it, where is it situated re. the house.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Maybe just build it in such a way that the wall could be easily removed if someone wanted to turn it back into a garage ?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Integral garage, semi detached house, south coast UK

Reply to
Vass

Would it be possible to extend the garage forward (Or backward) by a third such that you can have a utility room and garage?

Failing that, convert the whole garage to two rooms, use one as a utility and the other as something else, such as a study.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Cant give up the motoebike space, its my only getaway..... but would this effect the price?

Reply to
Vass

if the sub division of your garage was easily removable and the whole garage could be reinstated in an afternoon by ripping out the studwork and plasterboard (assuming you're using timber) it won't have any adverse affect on the price and may well add value.

Reply to
.

Does it need to be a real room? Couldn't you just put the washing machine in there? If it does need to be a room, then errecting a stud wall (possibly with a door in it) is easy, cheap, and undoable.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

|The missus would like a utility room for the washing machine, etc |This would mean taking 1/3 of the back of the garage, currently a single= =20 |garage big enough for |one car. (I only have a motorbike and so personal use is not a problem) |Hardly anyone in our road uses their garage for a car it would seem | |Would reducing the garage to 2/3rd the length effect the house value?=20 |considering the house gains a utility room with access to the outside = via a=20 |side door, this would be a benefit, no?

Would it be possible to extend the kitchen in another direction?

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

================ You could install a door (or possibly two) to divide the garage into two separate rooms. The doors could be kept closed for your personal purposes and be readily openable by any future buyer. This arrangement might be a valuable selling point when you decide to sell.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Good idea. Would it also mean that, because it was a temporary partition it wouldn't need planning or BCO involvement?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

In message , Vass writes

IMHO a garage is worth more than a utility. Why not just make it possible to do the washing etc. In the garage - e.g. plumb for washer/dryer and fit a sink and some kitchen units, or whatever.

I suppose she wouldnt want the motorbike fumes though?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

essentially, that's up to Vass ;-)

Reply to
.

aye, tham thar wimmin are funny like that :o)

Reply to
.

Can I put a door from the Kitchen into it though, if the 'room' is not insulated as per some buigling regs that someone will be along in a min to tell me about?

Reply to
Vass

When last looking for a house we steered clear of any with "shortened" or "not suitable for a car" type garages.

Main point is they have to be mentioned on sale details that may not be possible to get a car in garage (a bit negative on sale items) and also most converted in rather crap way. !!!. One we saw had a utility room (washing etc) only accesable from garage only and no windows ????. Another done right'ish but had a heavy fire door + associated spring closer on entrance of utiliity room as the dividing wall was just plasterboard stud, so two heavy fire doors on same wall looked "not good". One that had had it done via BCO, filled in original house to garage door opening, had normal internal door to utility room, had a window fitted and the connecting garage fire door was now from utility room, they also managed to get a Fiesta in the garage.

Reply to
Ian_m

|The missus would like a utility room for the washing machine, etc |This would mean taking 1/3 of the back of the garage, currently a single |garage big enough for |one car. (I only have a motorbike and so personal use is not a problem) |Hardly anyone in our road uses their garage for a car it would seem | |Would reducing the garage to 2/3rd the length effect the house value? |considering the house gains a utility room with access to the outside via a |side door, this would be a benefit, no?

Would it be possible to extend the kitchen in another direction?

I already have planning for a 'family room' to go onto the back of the kitchen into the garden so that option is already taken unfortnatly

Reply to
Vass

If you're going to put a door into the kitchen (I take it there isn't already a door directly into the garage from the kitchen) then you will need to "do things" which will depend on the existing garage floor level v. the house floor level, the type of door, etc. The insulation may not be an issue if you're not actually incorporating the garage into the living area. I should look on the 'net, and then approach your local council pen-pushers.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

okgreat thanks

Reply to
Vass

What about an external door which would make the garage still technically outside?

Reply to
Richard Conway