Pinch? Tool name needed

I borrowed this from my neighbour (to get nails out from corners where a claw hammer won't reach). Any idea what they're called so I can order my own for the future? He called it a pinch, but I can't find such a thing on Ebay.

Tough Guy no. 1265

Toolsatan call it a Roughneck Utility Bar @ around £3

alan_m

Its a nail puller

Nightjar

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:19:01 -0000, alan_m wrot= e:

Thanks! Utility bar brings up all sorts, I'll pick this one:

Why do they make claw hammers curved anyway? Pretty useless for the pos= ition of 50% of nails that need to be removed!

[mutters at random sig generator]

-- =

In the event that all else has failed, and it seems tempting to actually= read the instructions, don't panic: Get a bigger hammer!

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

You may find that it was the width of the bar you borrowed that helped with the task. A narrower tool with a point contact at the pivot point may twist before lifting the nail. I have two of these bars and they are ideal for lifting floor boards as well as extracting the odd nail or two..

Reply to
alan_m

That's a Stanley wrecking bar (Google that phrase and loads of hits).

Available in B&Q. One of the most useful bits of kit any serious DIYer should have.

There are similar but better designed tools specifically for getting serrated chipboard nails out without doing too much damage to the flooring, I have this one, brilliant :-

Andrew

It's called a Pry Bar. I've got one of these:

which I find very useful. You can lever nails out with the flared end and you can use the other end as a wedge, and tap it under the nail head with a hammer.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ah, now -that's_ what I need to shift my old floor boards. I thought an electrician's bolster looked wrong!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Silly boy, that's for "chasing walls". Are they running away? (Cue is your refridgerator running joke)

Tough Guy no. 1265

Its called a "smack in the mouth"... just walk into B&Q and ask for one.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ok, and I'll come down and demonstrate it to you when I'm finished with it.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

"Do you want decking?"

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes - it's the best nail remover I've come across - will even get them out with most of the head missing.

As long as you have room to swing it. There are times a proper pair of pincers are worth their eight in gold.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If only people used screws instead of nails.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

ROFL!

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

And then you will find they use the wrong bits in power tools and the cross head rounds off as the screw gets tighter. You then have the problem of having to use a pry bar on a nail with teeth.

Reply to
alan_m

But most of them come out easier than nails. And most folk know what a torque control is on a power tool.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Most people wouldn't recognise torque control if it bit them on the leg!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It wouldn't, that's the point of torque control :-)

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265