Pilot light wont light

Hi all i have just put some money in the gas meter (card type thingy) as it had ran out, and when i came to relight the boiler it wont light i can see i spark, and the gas fire works (so i know the gas is on). Does anybody know of what could be the problem i have a plumber (corgi reged) on hand but iam relucent to call him in if it is something simple. any help appreciated

Reply to
Jason

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:06:34 +0000 (UTC), "Jason" scrawled:

That would be a CORGI reg'd gas installer then as plumbers don't require CORGI registration. ;)

Sorry, had to be done.

Reply to
Lurch

Is it lighting but then immediately going out again, or not lighting at all?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I assume you have a permanent pilot light on your boiler and its not an electronic ignition! You are trying to relight the pilot and you can see the spark from the manually operated spark generator through the sight glass, Yes (I assume) The pilot wont light. You have obviously ran out of gas before due to the quantum meter and managed to light the pilot yourself, ok. You need to get it looked at, better still get it serviced, and after its serviced get the engineer to show you him lighting the pilot from cold, to ensure you can relight it yourself when your credit runs out again.

Reply to
end user

When your gas ran out the pilot will still have been lit and would have continued to burn all the gas available. if you keep trying to light eventually the gas should purge back through. (hopefully)

HTH

Lee

Reply to
lee

Pedantic @ SJW Electrical

Sorry, had to be done.

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

Could be a knackered thermocouple, under a fiver for the part but =A340/hour to fit it!

Reply to
Alan

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:23:59 +0100, "Eric The Viking" scrawled:

You rang?

Reply to
Lurch

Did you switch the boiler off at the plug and back on again? I had a boiler that after a gas cut something in the electronics had to be reset.

Reply to
Paul

Ok thanks for all your help will get the plumber around tommorow (sorry gas installer) tried again to relight but no joy oh well. thanks again.

Reply to
Jason

No i have not tried that yet, never had to do it in the past but worth ago. Have spoke to the gas installer again and he thinks it just needs purging (or something like that). many thanks

Reply to
Jason

| Jason wrote: | > Hi all i have just put some money in the gas meter (card type thingy) as it | > had ran out, and when i came to relight the boiler it wont light i can see i | > spark, and the gas fire works (so i know the gas is on). | > Does anybody know of what could be the problem i have a plumber (corgi | > reged) on hand but iam relucent to call him in if it is something simple. | > any help appreciated | | Did you switch the boiler off at the plug and back on again? I had a | boiler that after a gas cut something in the electronics had to be reset.

Good advice! Almost everything now contains a computer, and all computers crash at times. Switch it off, wait 2 mins, switch it on again, reboots the computer, and cures *many* problems. :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Old Glowworms have a similar problem. Caused by condensed gungyness from the gas in the micro porous filter just below the pilot jet. It would light only with a match when cold, but was OK with the spark when warmed up.

One poster reckoned he fixed his by taking the pilot jet/filter out and heating it up with a blowlamp to clean the filter.

Just a possiblity.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Now then, lets see... what was that guy saying on the newsgroup just disconnect this and heat this up with a blowlamp..........BOOM!!!

Reply to
end user