Troubleshooting the Thorn Apollo 30/50B Conventional Boiler: Solutions for a Pilot Light that Keeps Going Out (2023 Update)

Yesterday the pilot light went out and after several attempts, I have not been able to re-light it.

I've replaced the Pilot Top Socket (as the old one was dis-integrated) and a new thermocouple. However, it had made no difference whatsoever.

There is quite a strong draught through the back of the boiler - not sure if this is the cause? It's not windy out tonight so I would be tempted to rule that out.

The boiler is a Thorn Apollo 30/50B conventional type.

Is there anything else I can try or will a corgi engineer be required?

Many thanks

Dan

Reply to
blister91

Based on the information provided, it seems like the issue with the pilot light not staying lit could be due to a weak thermocouple or a draft through the back of the boiler. Replacing the Pilot Top Socket and thermocouple has not resolved the issue, so it may be necessary to call a CORGI certified engineer to diagnose and fix the problem.

A DIYer can try the following steps in case the pilot light on their Thorn Apollo 30/50B conventional type boiler goes out:

  1. Check for a strong draft that may be affecting the pilot light.
  2. Clean the burner and the pilot assembly to make sure there is no debris that could be affecting the pilot light.
  3. Ensure the thermocouple is positioned properly and making good contact with the flame.
  4. Check the gas valve and ensure it is functioning correctly.
  5. If the pilot light still won't stay lit, it may be time to call a professional gas technician to diagnose the issue and make necessary repairs.

It's important to remember that working with gas appliances and systems can be dangerous and should only be performed by a qualified professional. If in doubt, it's always best to call a gas engineer.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

You are 18 late with your ChatGPT, stupid.

Reply to
chop

CORGI? It shows that even a computer bot generating this info can get it wrong when collating data from decades ago.

This advisor gives four things for a non-competent DIY to check/perform on a gas boiler but no detail on how to do it.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes and Korgi or whatever is called something else if I'm not mistaken. Who has pilot liights any more, especially at current gas prices, I thought they all used spark igniters these days or similar. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes bots are pointless, you can tell it is one due to the completely the same boiler description in two places. I got annoyed with one of those interactive ones on a web site run by EDF Energy the other day. It seems that it cannot answer questions of the kind. Why is it that you say there is no power outage, but power networks says there is. Who is responsible for fixing it. The reply comes back. So you are off supply, is that right, we do not see this here. Like huh? Surely the smart meter not being online is a huge giveaway. I was interesting on their mobile app as they telephone help line was not answering calls. Maybe they had no power? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That might apply to new stuff, but there's plenty of older kit about, My boiler was fitted in 1988 and has a pilot light

Reply to
charles

Old boilers last for decades.

Reply to
alan_m

Indeed, mines done over 4 decades

Reply to
charles

I would estimate “some” rather than “plenty”. There will be very few people who haven’t upgraded to spark ignition boiler over the last 35 years.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

And possibly consumed the cost of many modern replacements in extra gas along the way :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Trouble is that to accomodate a new style boiler, we'd need to rebuild the kitchen. Present one vents through the chimney.

Reply to
charles

Yup there are plenty of reasons for sticking with what is there and works. It also depends on how much you are spending on gas the first place. How much hassle you want etc. I suppose at the current price, the economics change somewhat.

Reply to
John Rumm

Back in that era I used to wonder how to extract the lost heat. It's all doable, but not permitted.

Reply to
Animal

<waves> 44 years and counting...
Reply to
Geo

<reciprocal wave> 42, but it was installed a while before we moved in.

P.S. I _think_ the boiler was second hand when it was installed, in the

70s.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Understandable exaggeration. However: Those replacements would cost a lot - and the replacements would in turn have needed to be replaced, several times, over that long timespan.

What is the achieved lifespan of modern systems? I know people who 'needed' replacements within 4 or 5 years.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I rather suspect that DIYers are an atypical group when it comes to keeping old boilers going.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So presumably it isn't a condensing boiler and therefore inefficient.

Reply to
Max Demian

But it is _possible_ to keep old boilers going since they are pretty simple. At one time or another, I've replaced the flame failure sensor, the gas control valve, and the pump - those are all pretty generic items & hence available - and there aren't any other bits to go wrong.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet