pillar drills

On 22/07/2011 20:42, John Rumm wrote: ... snipped

Morse tapers are not designed to cope with side loads so "turning" is a risky business unless there's a draw bar holding the taper in place, and AFAIK pillar drills usually don't have a draw bar - take care!

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Indeed, Not suggesting one uses it to knock out a bowl or similar, but a small knob, finial or acorn etc you should be ok once locktited in place ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

That'll be why they're used on woodturning lathes then.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They are not used for side loads on any lathe unless axial pressure is present as well.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

AFAIK those without a drawbar are used as drives and centres on lathes, always with a support at the other end of the workpiece.

Reply to
NoSpam

I'm just about to advertise a Sealey 16 speed bench pillar drill, 240V, single phase, 1/2 HP, NVR switch, adjustable depth stop, adjustable table in angle and rotation. Any interest?

Reply to
NoSpam

One of the machine mart ones appears to have an LED speed display. Perhaps the speed is electronically controlled rather than belt controlled in that model?

Reply to
Stephen

Exactly where I am.

I was thinking of woodwork only. Hadn't thought of doing any metal work.

Reply to
Stephen

Sorry Bob for my lack of replies until now but I have been busy and only re-read this thread today. I am new but enthusiastic about all of this, so have many questions about many tools. When I was at school we weren't taught about any of these, so the only way to learn is ask questions. The replies here are so helpful and detailled and I am very grateful. I am sure that for every one person who posts a question there are twenty lurkers who want to know the same. This thread has taught me a lot and I am sure it has taught many other people a lot too. If it does go into the wiki, it will help even more people.

Reply to
Stephen

Not really possible with an induction motor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, you may need to use say a holesaw. To perhaps cut large holes in plywood or whatever. I recently did (2") and my 500 watt one worked just fine - the older 250 watt one would stall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds like you may find this a handy starting point:

John Rumm