Pikey Express!

Went out to Currys yesterday, SWMBO decoded we needed a new dishwasher.

Returned home with new machine in van, pulled out the old machine & installed new, job done by 5pm.

Left the old machine in the front garden, won't fit in SWMBO's Corsa, they wont let my van into he tip. SWMBO decides to call the council this morning to get it collected.

I told her not to bother, the pikeys would get it before the council did. Sure enough, 8:15 this morning a large tattooed bloke rang the doorbell "alright if we take the dishwasher guv?". By 8:20 it was gone.

Pikey Express have obviously opened a branch in this area :-)

Can't beat that for service!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

At £0.17/kilo for "light iron" nowadays (that's basically anything thinner than about 1/4") even a dead dishwasher or fridge is worth about £8 at the scrappies. If you have one close enough so the petrol cost doesn't outweigh the scrap value it's worth taking a run in the van. It's certainly more than enough to get pikies interested. I'm just surprised they asked first.

Here's a surprising fact. At current scrap prices the scrap value of old cast iron gutters and downpipes is not so far off the new price of replacement plastic ones. The net cost to a roofing contractor is basically zero. Old radiators are worth a few quid each. Pikies have nicked aluminium road signs for ages as its worth close to £800 a ton but it's now worth sawing down the steel posts too. Pretty soon nothing made of metal that's unattended will actually be safe anymore. Next time your bike gets nicked they'll also take the chain and padlock they cut off.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Happened with my brother's old bath in London. Propped it up against the railings. The workman went back indoors to get some more stuff, specifically the feet for it, but by the time he got back outside, the bath was gone. They never came back for the feet.

It worked just as well with the brand new bath which the plumber broke by tightening up the feet too much such that the enamel pinged off the inside. That one took a bit longer -- we think about half an hour, probably because of the obvious damage.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Baker wrote in

It's all about reducing knife crime.

As soon as we reach a point at which the value of a knife at the scrappers is more than it's value in a mugging, hey presto, no more knife crime.

That's the free market at work.

Reply to
PeterMcC

He knocked and asked if he could take it? That doesn't sound much like pikeys. Or have they got a new code of conduct? ;-)

Reply to
Howard Neil

Didn't know she worked at Bletchley Park :-)

You could offer them signage for their vehicles. Medway Pikeyman. Better not make them magnetic or they'll be nicked by the Pikey Pikeys. Hmm that could be an infinite series....

Why won't the jobsworths at the tip allow in your van? It looks smart enough to me.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Damn. I just posted (another thread) about ceramic knives... :-(

(I doubt they have any scrap value beyond ultra-hard-core.)

Reply to
Rod

Rod wrote in

...and thanks for not mentioning the apostrophe - I think I got away with it.

Reply to
PeterMcC

There are branches everywhere! Twenty years ago a customer of mine in South London, who had a TV and video rental business, put a stack of a dozen scrap Betamax VCR's out on the payment behind his shop while he went to fetch his van. By the time he got back they had all gone. After that he just put all the scrap TV's out for pikey collection. The service was fantastic with nothing left after an hour every time. I just wonder, as did he, why they kept taking them even though the scrap value was very low then.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Because they strip the bit that is ok and dump the rest. Shame it wasn't outside his shop so he didn't keep contributing to illegal tipping.

Reply to
dennis

because they could!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Perhaps they realised that the quality of reproduction offered by Betamax was far superior to that offered by VHS, and they were merely taking the opportunity of upgrading their caravans' VCRs to Betamax.

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Thats cos they are not pikeys at least by my definition of pikey**, they are upstanding gypsies who work for a living. When I was living in Bristol on a suburban backstreet, they would drive along the road about once a week, if they spotted scrap metal out front, they would always ring the bell to ask if they could have it. Often, house owners went to work leaving a note to 'help yourself'. The system worked very well.

** ie people who steal anything not tied down, lay substandard driveways for cash etc etc

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:  (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

You must have a different type of pikey round your way. Here they'd just take it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think we are getting a better class of pikey here in Kent...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably signed up with Medway Fair Trader scheme :-)

I'm not quite sure why Medway trading standards require criminal records checks through Disclosure Scotland, though, and not the English equivalent.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They'll be along for your new one when you're out...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Lots of companies which are not in Scotland use Disclosure Scotland. They are one of the companies permitted to make CRB checks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You've never spoken to my missus have you?

Oh tee hee. NO COMMERCIAL VERHICLES states the large sign next to the height barrier...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Was he driving a Hercules ?

-