Piggin B&Q!

why not just make sure the resistance is within range, using low voltage ?

Reply to
Jethro

The idea was to prove it worked - to the customer.

Reply to
Bob Eager

... and require entry of a launch code from the US President? ;-)

Reply to
David in Normandy

Come to think of it - I'm sure I saw bulb testing where the bulb was probably supplied with a lower than mains voltage - likely from an isolating txfmr.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Someone, MK I think, made a lamp holder that only became live when a bulb was inserted. Spring loaded pins or summit.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yup, we have them in all our pendant fittings.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Having had to visit B&Q 3 times this week ...

1) bought a 1 1/2 slimline waste trap from them. Properly sealed bag, but missing a bit. Since it was late (9pm) I had to improvise from my bag of bits (when I revisited I noticed *all* the bags had been ripped open ...)

2) out of solvent weld. Pleased I found out *before* I loaded my trolley with loads of SW joints.

3) out of white 40mm pipe clips (luckily had black, and job is out of sight)

4) out of straight washing machine connectors (had one elbow one left)

However, on a positive note, they have their Christmas decs up, and were playing "Jingle bells" Thursday night.

Reply to
Jethro

So's mines. Bleeding knobbers - haven't even had Hallowe'en or Bonfire Night yet! Reminds me - must order funky multicolour sparklers for the kids this year and maybe a few firecrackers. Garden's too small (well house is in the middle) to let off anything else.

On the plus side, my village has one of the most kick arse processions and displays in the country :) We don't quite get to kick burning barrels down the street like Lewes, Sussex, but not far off... Imagine 200 nutters with flaming torches dressed as monks, roman soldiers and suchlike :) And plenty of beer.

BTW - I noticed that for the last few years (decade(s)??) that most "home use" fireworks in the shops seem to be bloody huge bastards and not the little box of 20 assorted squibs we used to have. Who the hell has the space to let these off?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

It's made easier in a supermarket because people expect to put everything on the conveyor belt (which B&Q don't have). Also, at the "cheapo" supermarkets they build the barcode into the label design so things can be scanned at more or less any angle, which *really* speeds things up. Quite clever, really - though not as quick as the days when they keyed prices by hand from memory!

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Personally I find it bonkers in a country that makes it almost impossible to buy H2O2, or isopropanol, you can buy explosives in any corner shop this time of year ...

Reply to
Jethro

Isopropyl is easy to buy - just go online (Rapid, RS etc) or go to a real chemist's, ie not the useless nobbers at Boots.

Not tried H2O2 recently. But point taken about fireworks :) Ironic that we celebrate the demise of a terrorist using similar compounds to what he deployed.

Perhaps I can order a gallon of nail varnish remover to celebrate the death (allegedly) of Osama bin-Wanker...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Most of the ones I buy for home use say "for display use only" on them or some such... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Or the box of a gross* of 1p* bangers...

*Translation for those of not too many years: 'Or the box of 144 one old penny** bangers'. **240 old pence to one pound.

Shouldn't that be 'the box of a gross* of 1_d_ bangers' ?

Reply to
Andrew May

Well spotted: it should!