Pigeonproof aerials

Has anyone any good suggestions for a group A aerial which:-

a) Can withstand the weight of many severely obese pigeons. b) Can prevent pigeons from perching on it. c) Has a high gain. d) Can withstand high winds.

The last replacement log periodic super high gain aerial was pigeon destroyed within 6 months and I've had to go back to my 40 year old original, which I proofed with cable tied plastic bird deterrent strips to a limited extent. It is a real pain getting out the scaffold tower to bugger about with aerials and I'd like to find a solution which lasts.

Reply to
Capitol

I've not had any trouble with the TV aerial (lots sit on that waiting for the birdfood to go out), but they cause a problem when they sit on the weather station, spining round and round, or stopping it spinning, depending which bit they sit on.

I used long tie-wraps on that, with the long tail sticking up and cut into a point on the end. Can't do it on the spinny bit, but they've given up now they can't sit on the rest of it.

For the aerial, you might also try something like fishing line runs from the top of the reflector to the end element. Don't know how UV resistant it is - maybe some other material would be better. Anything you add will increase the wind surface.

My neighbour's aerial flips between horizontal and vertical polarisation, depending which side of it a bird last sat on!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Fishing line monofilament or thin cable ties glued on to make it unpleasant for them to land on - about 4" long ought to do it.

How did the pigeons destroy it? Dielectric material in the works or do you have heavyweight pigeons with lead divers boots in your area?

We regularly get birds on our aerial and it has never made a noticeable difference to its functionality. I sometimes lose satellite lock in high winds and torrential rain but the TV aerial soldiers on fine.

Reply to
Martin Brown

IME, one that's in the loft.

Reply to
Huge

I don't know but I now have problems with bloody Parakeets who seem to think that aerials are for cleaning and sharpening beaks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If that worked on the old one, why wouldn't it work on the new one?

Alternatively, cable tie the end of a cat's tail to the new aerial, so that it's got enough reach to get the pigeons wherever on the aerial they are?

Reply to
Adrian

Heavy weight pigeons squabbling. Destroyed the plastic fixings for the aerial elements. Couldn't take the loading.

Reply to
Capitol

I've been considering it.

Reply to
Capitol

I want to buy a designed product which works, not have to rework a new aerial.

Neighbours cats are proving hard to persuade.

Reply to
Capitol

Then buy a better quality aerial. One without cheap plastic holding the elements on.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

6" to 8" UV resistant cable ties (black) around the main spar spaced at < 4" with the "tail" sticking upwards.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Aren't they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was not cheap. Price is no guarantee of suitability unfortunately!

Why should the customer have to redesign the product by adding cable ties etc?

Reply to
Capitol

.22 Air rifle resolves the problems a) and b) - and gives you free meat as an extra! ;-)

Reply to
Unbeliever

Global warming again shock horror

Reply to
newshound

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If you ask in one of the technical TV newsgroups, someone who knows might tell you a good make to buy. I bought mine from CPC about 10 years ago, and I went for one which looked like a reasonable quality one. I had scaffolding around the roof at the time - didn't want it to fall to bits after a couple of years when I no longer had easy access. It might have beeb Antiference (looks similar to their current models).

As it happened, 3 years ago I had scaffolding up around the chimney and took the opportunity to more accurately align it with a satnav and protractor, and it was still as good as new.

Interestingly, having aligned it, I stood on the chimney and looked in the direction, and I could just about make out the transmitter on the horizon, which was some 25-30 miles away.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That may work but in built up areas its more important to line up the nulls in the aerial pattern with the reflections. You can't generally do that with a protractor. Its also difficult with digital, you have to use signal quality not strength.

Reply to
dennis

Strangely, I do not possess a beak so cannot tell you!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No escapees from a local collection now breeding all over the home counties. they are green and hang around like bunches of yobbos squawking. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff