Piant / Stain wooden floor

Hi trying to help someone out (who is going through a bad patch), who is in a modern flat with no flooring.

The floors are very level and the finish on the hardboard (sub floor) is flat and smooth, there are stains on the floor.

The ideal solution would be a laminate floor as it is easy to clean. However he has no money, and I cannot lay laminate or carpet.

Painting/Staining + Varnishing, this would be cheap and hopefully give a decent surface which would be easy to sweep clean (no need for an expensive vacum cleaner)

I guess I should use a stain (which one??) and then varnish it (which one??). Bear in mind would need something that dries pretty quickly so can get back into the flat.

Was thinking to go up one day and stain the floors give it some hours to dry before we walk on it. Then the next day varnish it - but what products..

Reply to
Yitzak

Pint it with any cheap acryclic primer first. That in itself may be enough.

Cheap lengths of carpeting or surplus scrap vinyl lengths are often very cheap, and rugs can be obtained at jumble sales.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess that would work, though not sure how long it would last. If you superficially score the wood into squares you can stain it in a tiled pattern, if you want. That works well with chipboard floors, and you can get lots of free .5" chip in skips.

But why pick laminate when you can have a real solid wood floor for nothing? Just go find builders skips and tell em you can take all the wood away for nothing, reducing their disposal costs. Theyll think you want it for free firewood probably.

You'll need to sort it into differing widths, so a full run of one width is laid, then a full run of another width etc. You'd need a £26 mitre saw to cut nice square ends.

You'll get almost entirely spruce and pine. Separate the 2 and make some kind of simple creative pattern: the pine will darken over time, the spruce wont. If you get any bits of hardwood, make a little shape out of them and put it in the middle of the room.

Free, but a fair bit of work.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton