Phototriac Output Optocoupler

Anyone got a clever way of testing one of these? The diode part reads ok on my DVM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It should read open-circuit in both directions across the triac (with no feed across the diode).

When triacs blow, they can go either open-circuit or short-circuit, and they can blow in one direction only (although that's rarer).

If you can take it out of the circuit, you could see if it works as a mains switch (assuming it's rated for mains use). Using a load such as a low power filament lamp, you will notice if it is blown one way only too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What I suspected, thanks.

This one blew the 1 amp fuse before it after a short on its load. But replaced the fuse and it doesn't now seem to switch. Basically no output from it. Experience with ordinary triac dimmers says they normally fail short circuit - but of course anything which is overloaded like this can go open circuit.

Right. I've ordered up some spares as they're cheap enough so will just wait until they arrive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)