Photos

On the previous theme of ...'do you remember'...sleeved plug tops etc etc. I have decided to 'attempt' to put some photos on the net of weird / odd / bizarre / dangerous etc etc etc things that I come across at work, or whilst sorting through our stores. What is the best and simplest way of uploading these pics? and where to? It may never get off the ground, or I may just lose interest, But it's got to be worth a try just for the laugh / comments! TA

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

If you have webspace from your ISP, you can make a simple html page with the pics one after another. You can even lower your standards that low you can use Word to do them, and just save as html.

If you have hosting with something like Fantastico (an install script) you can use some funky gallery apps like coppermine that do all the hard work, leaving you to simply tailor the site to how you want it to display right from within the web page itself.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , Grumpy owd man writes

Depending on what you want the 'best' maybe to create your won web pages with the images, enabling you to ad explanations etc.

The easiet/cheapest/quickest is to use a free photo website to put them up. Usually just quick sign up process and then you can upload some photos.

I use Flickr, for various reasons including it's 'community ' aspects. Photobucket is another place.

Reply to
chris French

As already suggested, your own ISP should offer a limited personal webspace facility for non-commercial use.

If not, a good 'Free'[1] hosting provider I use for a commercial website is Freeola.com in the UK. They give you unlimited (not really sure how 'unlimited' that really is, but I'm at 40mb and counting!) webspace, but nothing fancy like CGI scripts or SQL, unless you want to pay for them.

[1] Free to host but you must use a national rate (0845) number to upload to their server. For your kind of use, that would cost peanuts. (No offence meant! ;-) )

hth Nigel

In news: snipped-for-privacy@familyfrench.co.uk, chris French scribed:

Reply to
nrh

Following up to Grumpy owd man

the free photo sites are the easiest but if you want to make a nice little web site of it that will attract Google visitors to certain keywords, maybe "bad DIY" or "DIY Hell" (but who Googles them?) then you need to find an ISP that will give you some webspace (common enough) if you want it to be nicer still you want your own domain name

which will cost £40 or something every three years or so (I forget). Look at someone like "freedom names" where you can search for available domains and see costs. Then you need to understand a little about HTML (easy unless computer phobic) and download something like CuteFTP to upload to your site. Its not hard and can be fun, you can add your holiday photos so victims can be shown them wherever there is a internet connection :-) My websites below are all HTML with no programming and if you look you will see they function OK for non business purposes. You could even get Amazon commission by selling DIY books online!

Reply to
The Reid

uk2.net

is a lot cheaper than =A340.00 per year for a .co.uk domain name, and has many nice feature (including free email and email forwarding and a web interface so you can change this easily)

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Yes, but they're evil incarnate - avoid at all costs.

Reply to
Grunff

While getting your own web hosting and domain name as suggested by others is a nice way of going about things, there will be quite a lot to learn. I would recommend either getting a Flickr or similar account, or starting a blog somewhere (e.g. ).

Reply to
Grunff

Why ? I've never had a problem.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

I'm not going to go into it here, you can search groups for hundreds of posts about them.

I've had quite a few very unpleasant experiences with them on behalf of clients.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, I would have no problem recommending them - I have some of my personal domains with them, and haven't had a problem transferring in/out.

Reply to
Grunff

Funny, I was just about to say that! ;-)

123-reg (recently acquired by pipex) seems to offer a pretty flexible set of registration and mangement tools at sensible prices.
Reply to
John Rumm

Usually less than £10 for a co.uk It would only be the £80 for two years if you were to register direct with nominet.

Reply to
DJC

Following up to snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk

yes, I'm not paying that per year.

Reply to
The Reid

I'd also recommend Just The Name and other associated companies such as PAYH

Reply to
chris French

Thanks for the replies. I think it will be Photobucket or Flikr then Don't want the web site option really. My son has a First in Multimedia and Web Design, so he could knock one up in 30mins. Problem is I can never find him and he makes them toooooooooooooooooo complicated and I would have to keep getting him back etc etc etc.

Be patient with me! some of the pics are worth it. As a taster how about 'improve your earthing with a clothes peg [photo]' or 'Joint 3 cables with a nut and bolt [photo]' 'Lightning only strikes once [photo]' and many more

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

It sounds like you might enjoy the Violations forum on

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, The Reid scribed:

Bl**dy hell, no! I use Easily.co.uk and it costs me £9.99 inc VAT for 2 years. Excellent account management tools too.

hth Nigel

Reply to
nrh

=A36.09 for 2 years - has mail forwarding as=20 standard, although it doesn`t include "outgoing" mail access via SMTP,=20 only from webmail.

--=20 Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails

**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
Reply to
Colin Wilson

Is that the US site? If so, yep, I'm fascinated by it! Mind you, 99% of the time I have NO idea what they are talking about!! Have you seen the spin off page titled something like 'Rate my Work'? They all appear to be very much 'up themselves' From what I have seen, compared with UK work, it ALL looks wrong! I'd like to have a read of a copy of their 'regs'

Reply to
Grumpy owd man