Phone wiring (Virgin)

I need to re-route my phone cabling. Currently it goes to a box outside that was BT but now has a cable from Virgin coming into it.

It appears that two cores from the Virgin cable are used (sort of crimped) and some cores are still connected to the BT Terminal Block.

What should I be expecting and what might I need to renew the cable into the house?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It was probably wrong of VM to use the T box, but no matter.

The "crimps" you se are probably IDC jelly filled connectors

you don't need a special tool to use them.

Just rewire to a master socket using 2 or 3 pair telephone wire or even solid core CAT5.

Don't worry about the BT line, if you ever need to use it again you will have a spare pair to connect it up.

Reply to
Graham.

Graham. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes - there are two jelly crimps (wondered what they were). Do I only need to worry about these two cores then?

If so, then could I abandon the BT grey box with a sliding cover and wire back to the brown VM box?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes, that is the ideal way, as I said strictly speaking VM shouldn't have been using BTs existing cable to get into your house.

Yes, just the two wires, just make sure you pick two in your new cable that are mutually twisted together, convention dictates you use the blue & white + white & blue pair first, but it doesn't really matter.

Reply to
Graham.

Graham. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Many thanks. I assume that VM hooked into the nearby BT box to avoid re- wiring the master socket in the house. Just a couple of feet of cable needed instead of many metres.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In article , DerbyBorn writes

Ignoring any legal issues, they have royally fookd any chance of you or a subsequent occupier going back to BT for anything less than a full install charge.

Reply to
fred

I have looked in the brown VM box and can confirm that two cores link across to the old BT Box.

Could I just take a new cable from an internal master socket to the VM Box? Do I have to use 6 core even though only 2 are used? What is the legallity?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You have some spares... just make sure you pick a pair ie the same colour plus white for each wire. Normally it would be white/blue blue/white for the A and B wires.

You shouldn't be messing with anything before the Master Socket. Strictly speaking VM shouldn't have hi-jacked the grey BT box outside, the BT wiring and the BT box inside but run their own cable from their external box to their own internal box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

. Normally it would be white/blue

Hi-jack sums it up I guess. VM fitted their own Master Socket alongside the BT one and moved the BT cable across to it (but oddly left 2 cores connected in the BT Master Socket. I was hoping to avoid paying VM to re-route my internal wiring. Guess I just might DIY it and claim the builder did it!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Are we sure the OP hasn't got an external BT NTE?

Reply to
philipuk

It's not difficult, make a neat job with suitable cable and parts and any engineer who visits won't bat an eyelid. Just don't do it in the rain, soaking wet, as the 50 V DC does hurt. DAMHIKT...

OP has described a Block Terminal 66B (small grey box with sliding lid).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a Brown VM box that has a couple of feet of cable running to the BT External Grey Box with a lid that slides up. Inside I have a Master Socket supplied by Virgin - next to one supplied by BT

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA1C8AF45255B0johnplant90ntlworldc@81.171.92.236:

I believe my internal socket is a NTE5 socket - with unpluggable half faceplate.

Reply to
DerbyBorn