phone lines

Hello all,

My first post here! I did a search but couldn't find an exac answer...

I have two phone lines, I had one disconnected some months ago an would now like to connect that linebox (2nd bedroom) to the stil connected line, using the neatly concealed BT cabling.

The external phone line coming into the house has 4 wires;

  1. solid orange and white.
  2. solid green and black.

At the point of entry to the first (master?) linebox the solid gree and black wires are screwed to A&B.

The the solid orange wire is connected with this small plastic tab to blue/white wire and the solid white wire is connected using the sam method to a white/blue wire.

In the second bedroom the linebox has the blue/white / white/blu screwed to the A&B.

Do I cut the little plastic tabs in the first linebox, leave the soli orange and white unconnected and then wire the blue/white / white blu to terminal 2 and 5, then unscrew the blue/white / white blue from th A&B on the 2nd box and connect to 2 & 5?

How can I tell which is the phone line that is still in use green black or White and orange?

Can anyone help with how I can reconnect these.

Many thanks,

pau

-- pockets

Reply to
pockets

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:22:12 +0100,it is alleged that pockets spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

If the 'first linebox' is the one that still has a dialtone, yes.

Unnecessary, A&B *are* 2&5, although technically you should use a secondary socket at that point.

The one that still has a dialtone?

One question. Does the cable to the 2nd linebox (white/blue) have an extra cable pair available? (ie are there orange/white and green/white wires spare at both ends).

If it does you can use these to connect 2,3,4,5 to the first linebox then to a secondary socket in place of the second linebox (cutting the non-functioning line as you said).

*Serious disclaimer* BT don't often physically disconnect wiring at the exchange, they probably just punched buttons on a computer, which means that 2nd socket is technically still connected to their network, and it's a criminal offense to mess with it.

If that cable between the 2 has 6 cores, you can use the orange/white and green/white wires, a secondary socket right next to the 2nd linebox, and not actually mess with the 2nd linebox electrically at all.

UK.Telecom has a few current BT engineers and a *lot* of people with experience of what is and is not acceptable.

Reply to
Chip

In article , pockets writes

Heres an interesting phones site. Scroll down to the wiring info bit its all there....

tony sayer