Phone dropped down chimney :-(

... I wonder if that might be the answer to mruncalledfor's device - something to distract from something more sinister?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Forget it. Get a new one on the insurance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read this!

I expect a strong Neodymium magnet on a string would do the trick, I know a magnet sticks to my phone (the battery)

eBay has loads of them! For example

Neodymium magnets are bloody strong...

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Even if it's not insured, how expensive can it be? Try a cable routing kit with a magnet on the end. If that don't work, forget it.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Read what he said...

Reply to
Bob Eager

How do sim cards respond to very strong magnets!?

Reply to
Richard Conway

I'm just trying to imagine the hilarity when that package goes through the post office machines ....

Reply to
elyob

They're not magnetic stores, unlike disks, so should be fine.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

If you've got an old knackered HDD use the magnets out of that. Toby

Reply to
Toby Sleigh

I can just imagine getting it nearly to the top each time, only to hear it crashing back down the chimney.

It will probably be quite an interesting find in 100 years time when someone unbricks the fireplace.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Talking of chimnies and the season...

I was sitting in my home office this morning ( a rare event), when the phone rang on the business number. The caller ID on the Mac showed a local number that I didn't recognise.

I answered and the woman on the other end wanted to know whether I was a chimney sweeping service.

I asked her if she wanted to have a detailed inspection of her chimney including from the roof. She was interested in that, but I told her that it couldn't be done until Sunday.

At that point I couldn't contain myself any more and started laughing.

However, I did give her the number of a good chimney sweep I know.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Won't stick to Lithium batteries at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Got a dead hard drive? The voice coil magnets out of them are the strongest you're likely to find. Combine with ringing the phone and perhaps a bell of some sort on the magnetic fishing line and you might get somewhere.

Chris Hodges

If any of the original ironwork is left in the fireplace, I would expect it to stick to everything except the phone.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

It looks like the solution left is to tunnel up from below. At least you wont be able to see the hole as long as you are careful. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Neodymium-iron-born magnets are very dangerous and should only be brought into the house by people who are aware of the risks. Walk into the lounge with one and see what happens to the picture on your tv. Go near a computer with one and don't expect to use it any time soon.

Reply to
tiscali

To amplify - the flat "c"-shaped magnets from either side of the head-moving apparatus. 2 notes - a *really* old hard drive (15years +) might have a stepper-motor head positioning apparatus ; the magnets will have soft-iron on the outer faces to reduce the chance of the drives sticking together in the factory. I found that the magnet form a H.D.D. that died last week was strong enough to pick up the battery through the casing, AND to pick it up by the loudspeaker too. But, if there are any old nails in the wall of the chimney.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Bollocks.

Sure they gauss up CRT's but a couple of power cycles soon fixes that.

(having held up several neodymium equipped motors to a monitor with a

1:1 scale drawing of a model plane in it to see how to fit them..)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Having worked in a sorting office, if the package looks any larger than a fat envelope when it comes out of a sack from a pillar box colelction, it will be put aside before it gets the chance to go through the 35,000+ items per hour "tumble drier" sorting machine. If it arrived at the depot in a sack of larger parcels, it would never go near the conveyer belts. Might wipe employees' bank cards in pockets, stop watches, etc.

Don't ask me how they would get it out of the van though ;-)

Reply to
The 1st Philosophical Handyman

Didn't they try this on Mythbusters recently? Deliberately tried to damage credit cards with magnets & failed completely?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman