Phone calls asking you to contact message collection centre - spam??

I was phoned twice by 08715 720 014, and an automated voice said contact the "message collection centre" for a message. Since this is a paying number this could be spam or could be genuine. The first time I didn't phone the nuumber. The second time I got some music and was asked to wait for an operator so I rang off.

Is this spam or could this be genuine? Andy

Reply to
Eusebius

On Feb 15, 4:36=EF=BF=BDpm, "Eusebius" wrot= e:

Sorry, to be more precise I was phoned from a number I didn't actually check with 1471, and told to phone 08715 720 014, which was the message centre. Andy

Reply to
Eusebius

ndy

From

is what we know about the number you entered (08715720014).

ICSTIS does not regulate this type of number. However we can tell you the following.

  • This is classified as a Special Services higher rate: up to and including 10p for BT customers (non-internet) number. * It is provided by 7Tel Ltd.. * And costs 10ppm [in pence or pounds where 'pm' means 'per minute' and 'pc' means 'per call'].

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Sorry, to be more precise I was phoned from a number I didn't actually check with 1471, and told to phone 08715 720 014, which was the message centre. Andy

certainly smells like a scam. Try phoning relevent bt service and let them sort it out.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

In message , Eusebius writes

It's a scam, the 0871 numbers are more than national rate. We've had memos warning about this sort of thing from head office. If it's not your voicemail service number, ignore it.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

We had one of those. Being an old cynic I just put the phone down as he got to the word 'centre', and did do a 1471. It came from 0871 2401400.

Reply to
Tony Williams

In message , Tony Williams writes

Slightly related.....

BT have been trying to deliver a *text* message to my domestic phone. It originated from an 07902... number so most likely a wrong number error. However, this has persisted, as the message is apparently

*undeliverable* music or photograph, I finally gave in and asked BT to discontinue their message service.

The options under nuisance calling appear to allow single number barring but this was not offered.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You need to ask yourself who that you'd want to talk to would contact you in this way.

It's a way of conning money out of you. It relies on the 'curiosity kills the cat' syndrome.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Tony Williams writes

08712 401400 - 08712401400 - SCAM - Do not call, purport to have a message waiting for you. Complete lie, should be shut down by regulators but they have no powers or interest to do so.
Reply to
fred

Looks like the number is provided through a telecomms company called Hotchilli Communications Ltd, Chelsmford. Their own help line is 0871 240 9999, so perhaps they own and sell the whole block of 0871 240 xxxx numbers.

Their website suggests that they are a reasonably respectable company, so perhaps a complaint to them would work. Note the free callback facility on their website.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I had something similar with absolutely dreadful text-to-speech conversion and called the mobile number that it came from. I left a voicemail telling the silly b*tch I wasn't the least bit interested in her love life and would she stop sending me texts. It worked, I didn't receive any more!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Sorry, to be more precise I was phoned from a number I didn't actually check with 1471, and told to phone 08715 720 014, which was the message centre. Andy

08715 looks like a National Rate number but you'll probably find it's Premium Rate. That'll tell you whether it's spam.

And if you're not expecting a message via such a centre, don't ring back anyway.

Reply to
nemo