Phone battery

Hi all,

I have a fairly modern Nokia E51 mobile phone which has a 3.6v 1050mAh Li-Polymer battery. I will soon have a different phone but would like to keep the said phone as a spare.

What is the best way to ensure that the battery remains healthy, does it need to be charged every now and then, should it be left empty, 50%..or what? The battery life has always been very good since I have had the phone.

Thank you.

Reply to
gremlin_95

I have an old Nokia E71 (or something like that), which I use occasionally as a GSM modem and/or MiFi, and 3 batteries for it (one of which comes from a 5 year old E61i), and they're all still fine. I try to remember to charge them at least every 6 months, although they don't seem to need it if not used. I also used to take them out of the phone (well, only one can go in at a time anyway), but it doesn't seem that the E71 actually drains the battery noticably at all when switched off, so I stopped bothering to take the battery out, as it does mean the E71 loses the clock setting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thank you, incidentally I am getting an E71 to replace my E51, although it is generally working well, the volume up button has broken internally and the keypad is a bit hit and miss at times.

Reply to
gremlin_95

When I went to get another E71 just over a year ago, it was end-of-line. Bought an E5 instead, which is similar. Unfortunately, its battery is different (a bit smaller), so I couldn't use my E61/E71 batteries. The E5's battery (BL-4D) is harder to find, because with the exception of the E5, it's only used in phones where it's not user replaceable, so I ended up buying one from a mobile repair shop. Otherwise, very happy with the E5. Long battery life is important to me, which is why I've stuck with this line of Nokias for now (and get a spare battery), but it looks like they may come to and end with Nokia jumping to Windows mobiles.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

gremlin_95 wrote on Dec 12, 2011:

Apple recommend that for long term storage (i.e. longer than 6 months without use) you keep a laptop battery at 50% charge.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Yep, battery life is important for me too, I quite like the Nokia E Series, I can see my self holding on to the E71 for quite a while.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Thank you

Reply to