Philips Econic LED bulbs

"But how quickly things change. This month, Philips unveiled its new range of LED bulbs. I was sceptical that they'd be any better than the several I had tried already but, well, something has definitely changed in this technology. The 3W Econic spotlight is a direct replacement for the ubiquitous 35W halogen bulb and claims to have the same light output. When I tried it out, I found that Philips wasn't exaggerating. This is brighter than any other LED I've come across. Putting two in our small shower room, after a while I forgot that the bulbs were not halogens.

There are some slight issues. The light is whiter than is ideal but by no means harsh (I wouldn't, for example, have any problems using an array of these bulbs in my kitchen and bathroom but probably not bedrooms and lounges). Then there's the upfront cost, which is very steep =96 each Econic bulb comes in at =A325. But the manufacturers claim the bulb will keep going for 15 years. Given the electricity savings over that period too, this might be an investment worth making. This new range from Philips also includes some candle-shaped bulbs and a screw-cap bulb too."

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

> "But how quickly things change. This month, Philips unveiled its new

They will no doubt come down in price as they become popular. Don

Reply to
Donwill

> bedrooms and lounges). Then there's the upfront cost, which is very

Like diamonds.

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

Like anything which can be copied by the Chinese.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reporter must have got one that is even more efficient than Phillips imagined, their own equivalency for a 5W cool white LED GLS is 25W. Also not offered Phillips 7W warm White GLS equivalent to 40W according to Phillips.

AA