Philips 28" telly repair

My Dad's TV, a Philips 6315 (IIRC, 28" Widescreen), has packed up. I think it's something to do with the degaussing circuit as the screen has occasionally flashed up red when turning on, and the colours have drifted whilst watching as if the deguasser isn't working properly. Turning the TV on and off has sorted the problem, but now the TV won't turn on. The problem is, we can't find anyone who'll repair a telly. Does anyone know one round North Derbys / South Yorks / North Notts? Any ideas on whether it'll be cheap or dear would be handy, as it could be new telly time if shops charge a ridiculous amount to look the tv over.

Reply to
Doki

When you say it won't turn on, do you mean video, or no sign of life at all?

When you say turning it on and off has cured the problem, you mean the colour drift?

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

its nothing to do with degauss. You should find a repair shop that will do a no fix no fee job. IME the smaller and more backstreet a repair shop, the more chance of them getting it done within budget. Dont waste time with the fancier premises.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How old is the set .I presume it is out of warranty but if it is ONLY just out that might be very relevant Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I would be surprised if repair costs didn't approach replacement costs. That is why you won't find anyone repairing them. Although these days, it is getting more difficult to even buy largish CRT TVs. Some shops have stopped stocking them and they start well under 200 quid.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'd also get a free or low charge estimate quote while you are at it. This model, it's full number 28PW6315/05 (or similar) features the A10E chassis with an expensive 'painter' £50 chip with hot air soldering equipment required to replace it. An experienced TV Tech should be able to tell you (due to the amount of sets he has worked through) if the convergence faults and colour flashing is likely a phenomenon of this chip failing - if so the repair could get costly :-(. But then again it could be something pretty trivial like a toasted capacitor.

Reply to
Adrian C

Unless things have changed, it's nearly always the power supply with Philips TVs when they die completely. And they're so damn complicated you often have to buy a repair kit containing all the ICs. This was the case with my 28" 4:3 Matchline at only 5 years old. It would go to standby, but no further. I checked all the caps in the PS with an ESR meter and they were fine. The kit did the trick but cost 80 quid. Paying a pro to have it sorted wouldn't have been worth it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doki has brought this to us :

The de-gauss circuit only works once, when you first power the set up. It should not normally need to be used, except when the sets position is changed.

Probably because TV's are so cheap to purchase new, are so very reliable these days and capable engineers plus parts are relatively expensive. 'Won't turn on...' usually means a fault on the power supply.

Consider buying a new one versus the likely cost of repair.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The trouble with modern smpsus is they check various things and wont start if they dont get the right answers back. So smpsu faults are somtimes down to the LOP stage. It stops fires but makes trouble shooting more complex.

I know nothing of the details of your particular psu, but years ago I tried replacing an smpsu with a light bulb... and yes, it worked ok. No regulation of course, so the picture settings would vary a bit according to picture brightness, but it was quite acceptable for a used set. I doubt that kind of thing would be well received in the current era of pixel perfect settings, but it is sometimes a way to make a passable set out of a dead one. Parts cost about 20p.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The trouble with modern smpsus is they check various things and wont start if they dont get the right answers back. So smpsu faults are somtimes down to the LOP stage. It stops fires but makes trouble shooting more complex.

I know nothing of the details of your particular psu, but years ago I tried replacing an smpsu with a light bulb... and yes, it worked ok. No regulation of course, so the picture settings would vary a bit according to picture brightness, but it was quite acceptable for a used set. I doubt that kind of thing would be well received in the current era of pixel perfect settings, but it is sometimes a way to make a passable set out of a dead one. Parts cost about 20p.

In case youre wondering, I did it as much as a challenge as anything.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's the model. It seems to have a very good picture and geometry compared to more modern "better" flatscreen units, but if the bit's that much and is that much of a pain to install, it might not be worth it.

Reply to
Doki

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com explained :

They check the loading on each monitored rail is within specified limits as they start up and if not shut straight down again. A perfectly ordinary 100w mains lamp used to be adequate loading to load test a TV SMPSU.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Slap it HARD with your hand, if this fails, trash it. Unless its worth over 400 quid repairs are likely to be cost ineffective.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Ah, the good old days of Percussive Maintenance are making a comeback.

They went away for a while, but not things are so cheap and densely made that a good slapping is often the best approach.

Reply to
Guy King

Been there done that. The casing's too flimsy to make hitting it shake the innards.

Reply to
Doki

Doki,

There's a TV repair place in Thurcroft, run by my Uncles brother who successfully repaired my parents dead Toshiba which I've been using for the past few months.

Not sure of the name or address, apparently it's behind an estate agents on the main road in Thurcroft. Send me an email to: ng at joelwr dot plus dot com and I'll get the phone number and address for you.

Reply to
no_spam_please